Weird Wireless Problem

Reaction score
Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 and have a big wifi issue. I use an AT&T Unite Pro hotspot as my home internet. I have a netgear cradle for the hotspot that allows ethernet output. I then go out with the Internet and into a Cisco E2000 router running DDWRT as an AP. I've had this setup for a while and it worked great with every phone, PC, and console in my home.
However, now that I've upgraded to Windows 10, this connection to my wireless AP is extremely slow. It loads pages but takes several minutes and speed tests fail from being so slow. As I said, when I connect to the router with phones, other PCs, etc. there are no issues.
And then when I create a wireless hotspot directly from my phone and have the Windows 10 machine use the phone's hotspot connection, everything loads quick and perfectly. I believe I've set up the phone's hotspot to use the same connection info as the DDWRT router. I think they're both using wireless G, Channel 6, WPA2 AES.
Is there something special that Windows 10 doesn't like about DDWRT or a setting I need to change? Like I said, there were no issues on Windows 8.1 so I don't have a clue. I've cleaned cache, temp files, deleted and reinstalled adapters, updated wireless drivers, updated Windows 10, tried Firefox, Chrome, IE. Any ideas?
Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried switching from AES to TKIP, if that is an option?
If that doesn't help, make sure to switch it back to AES

Reaction score
Have you tried switching from AES to TKIP, if that is an option?
If that doesn't help, make sure to switch it back to AES
Yes, I tried that as well as no wifi security with no success and then switched it back. Thanks, Trouble.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does it see the connection to the DDWRT as a private or public connection?
Can you temporarily turn of SPI on the DDWRT, if that is an option? Been along time since I've played around with a DDWRT firmware router.

Reaction score
Does it see the connection to the DDWRT as a private or public connection?
Can you temporarily turn of SPI on the DDWRT, if that is an option? Been along time since I've played around with a DDWRT firmware router.
It sees it as a public connection. Yes, I tried turning off the SPI on DDWRT and rebooted and still had no luck. It was still very slow.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you re-define it as a private connection and see if that makes any difference?
Start button -> Settings -> Network & Internet ->
Click the problem connection and move the slider to "On"
Where it says "Find devices and content"

Reaction score
Can you re-define it as a private connection and see if that makes any difference?
Start button -> Settings -> Network & Internet ->
Click the problem connection and move the slider to "On"
Where it says "Find devices and content"
I just tried that too and it made no difference. I even checked to see if the metered connection would make a difference but no luck.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any third party security suites on this computer?
Avast, Avira, AVG, McAfee, Norton, Comodo, Zone Alarm???

Reaction score
Any third party security suites on this computer?
Avast, Avira, AVG, McAfee, Norton, Comodo, Zone Alarm???
No, nothing for security. I do have Nvidia GeForce experience and I read somewhere to turn that off but it didn't help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try changing the channel from 6 to 11 or to 2 see if that makes any difference.
AND
Check to see if you can change the mode of the wireless adapter in the computer from b, g, n, to something like b, g or g only.
just type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties
click the configure button
select the advance tab
look in the left column for something like "mode"
See what your options are in the right "Value" drop down list.

Reaction score
Try changing the channel from 6 to 11 or to 2 see if that makes any difference.
AND
Check to see if you can change the mode of the wireless adapter in the computer from b, g, n, to something like b, g or g only.
just type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
right click the problem wireless adapter and choose properties
click the configure button
select the advance tab
look in the left column for something like "mode"
See what your options are in the right "Value" drop down list.
Unfortunately, different channels don't help. And under the Advanced tab, there's no option to change the mode. I see a "AP Mode Force BW20" which I tried to enable and that didn't help. I then tried enabling a "IEEE802.11H" and that didn't help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Very surprised that you have a wireless adapter installed in your computer and you cannot set or change the mode that it functions at.

I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Ask a Question