When and How to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 Ultimate OS. How and when can I update or will Microsoft automatically let me know how I can up-date to 10?

Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 Ultimate OS. How and when can I update or will Microsoft automatically let me know how I can up-date to 10?

To condense the answer ................
Assuming you have a genuine Windows 7 Ultimate.
1. If you have kept Windows Updates up-to-date, you will have update KB3035583 installed. If so, you should have a new icon at the beginning of your system tray icons. Click it open and you'll see an invitation to reserve for a free upgrade to Windows 10 RTM. You can ignore the invite, if you wish.
Get Windows 10 icon.jpg

2. Whether you have made the so-called "reservation" or not, come July 29th, MS will notifiy you of a free upgrade.

3.Free upgrade to Win 10 RTM will have to be done via your Windows Update. It is a must. You cannot do the "upgrade" by using the ISO.

4. You will have Windows 10 Pro as a free upgrade.

Reaction score
One other important requirement is to have IE 11 installed. Some folks, (like me) don't always pay attention to that update, since I don't use it.

Reaction score
One other important requirement is to have IE 11 installed. Some folks, (like me) don't always pay attention to that update, since I don't use it.

Although Microsoft Edge is the default browser, IE11 is still included in Windows 10. There is no need to install it.

Unless you have something that says otherwise.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is no need to install it.
I don't think he was suggesting that you "install" it, so much as to pay attention and make sure your version of IE is updated to "11". Folks using Windows 7 and or 8, may not be running IE 11.

Reaction score
The thread is about upgrading to Windows 10 RTM.
The moment it is upgraded, Microsoft Edge and IE11 are ready.
There is nothing to make sure.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
One other important requirement is to have IE 11 installed.
I saw his premise as having your version of IE, updated to 11, as a requirement to being able to update to Windows 10. I have no idea if that is actually true or not.
I do know that I have done work for multiple business that do not and cannot run newer versions of IE (10 or 11) because they have proprietary software (business critical) that will not work with anything newer than IE 8 or 9.
So they cannot update their versions of IE.
Now... since they are all running Windows 7 Pro, and they are probably not going to update to Windows 10 anyway the point is likely "moot", I just wasn't aware or or even considered for that matter, that your version of IE might cause an issue with your ability to upgrade Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10, that's all.

Reaction score
...........One other important requirement is to have IE 11 installed...........

No. The requirement is ..................Windows 10 Specifications
excerpt :
If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet, here’s what it takes.
  • Latest OS: Make sure you are running the latest version either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
.........................................................................................
Both Win 7 SP1 and Win 8.1 come with IE11.

Reaction score
I don't think he was suggesting that you "install" it, so much as to pay attention and make sure your version of IE is updated to "11". Folks using Windows 7 and or 8, may not be running IE 11.

This is what I meant. Sorry for any confusion. I had 2 Win7 Home Premium computers that had not received the W10 upgrade icon in the taskbar even after restoring the proper KB update, and after some searching saw an article that stated you must have upgraded to IE 11 and installed the KB. After upgrading to "11" and rebooting the icon appeared on both machines. I've been trying to find the web page again but so far no luck.

Reaction score
The Get Windows 10 icon is just a marketing ploy making people tripping over one another to make the reservation.
The fact is, ALL genuine Win 7 SP1 and Win 8.1 users are entitled to a free upgrade, regardless if they have the "reservation" or not.

Reaction score
The Get Windows 10 icon is just a marketing ploy making people tripping over one another to make the reservation.
The fact is, ALL genuine Win 7 SP1 and Win 8.1 users are entitled to a free upgrade, regardless if they have the "reservation" or not.

Yes I know. Just wondered why 2 of 6 W7 machines did not have the Icon and I posted what worked for me.

Reaction score
Reaction score
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1
If you don’t see the Get Windows 10 app (the small Windows icon in your system tray), it might be because:
  1. Your device isn’t up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update
  2. Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically
  3. You’ve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.
  4. Your device is not running genuine Windows
  5. Your device is running Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, or Windows RT/RT 8.1, which are excluded from this reservation offer.
  6. Your device is managed as part of a school or business network. (Check with your IT administrator.)
  7. PCs that we determine cannot run Windows 10 will not see the Get Windows 10 app before July 29th. After July 29th, we’ll enable the icon in the system tray. This is to help ensure that you can easily check your PC’s compatibility if you choose.

Reaction score
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Why don’t I have the Get Windows 10 app?
If you don’t see the Get Windows 10 app on your PC, it might be because:
  1. Your device isn’t up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
  2. Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically.
  3. You’ve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.
  4. Your device is not running genuine Windows.
Running Windows Update and installing any available updates will fix the first three issues. Need more help? Go to our Windows Community Forum.
PCs that we determine cannot run Windows 10 will not see the Get Windows 10 app before July 29, 2015. After July 29, 2015, we’ll enable the icon in the system tray. This is to help ensure that you can easily check your PC’s compatibility if you choose.
If your device is managed as part of a school or business network, please check with your IT administrator about upgrading to Windows 10.

Reaction score
To all members......
I have just found out that many articles released by Microsoft have been taken down.
example..............

1 posted by Trouble
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

1 posted by me
Windows 10 Specifications

THAT may be a sign of new thing to come ?

Update ..............
The issue described above is confined to my IE11. I am not suggesting it applies to every user's IE11.

Once I've switched to Microsoft Edge as my default, the links mentioned above works.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
confined to my IE11
Interesting..... do the two links that you mention fail with an error? Are they redirected?
Have you tried Ctrl + F5? Have you tried resetting IE 11? Maybe flush DNS?

Reaction score
Clear browser cache, Reset IE. They had been performed without result.
No re-direct just this..........

Microsoft page cannot be found.jpg

Ask a Question