SOLVED When taking a picture by pressing Alt-print-screen on the keyboard, I cannot find the screenshot

Reaction score
I recently reset my spare Windows 10 laptop as it started running inefficiently. I still had a screenshots folder left on the drive. However, when I press Alt print screen, the screenshot is not going into that folder, and I don’t know where to look to find it. Any ideas on this? Thanks.

HB

Reaction score
It is stored in memory.
Open a graphics program and select "paste"
- Or you can paste it, for example, into email or your word processor.

Reaction score
It is stored in memory.
Open a graphics program and select "paste"
- Or you can paste it, for example, into email or your word proces
Ah! Thank you, Dave, you were right! I pasted it into an open Microsoft Word document and there it was. However, what do I need to do so that it goes directly into my screenshots folder where I really want it? That’s what happens in my other laptop when I take a screenshot. Thanks.

HB

Ah! Thank you, Dave; you were right! I pasted it into an open Microsoft Word document, and there it was. However, what do I need to do so that it goes directly into my screenshots folder where I really want it? That’s what happens on my other laptop when I take a screenshot. Thanks.

HB

Reaction score
They go automatically to here.
C:\Users\Username\Pictures\Screenshots

But uyou can browse and change the save location to whatever.. It will be remembered next time you snip

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I changed the folder location to where I wanted my screenshots to go. I was also asked whether I wanted the existing screenshots to go into that folder, and I clicked yes. I checked the new location, and sure enough, the existing screenshots were there. However, when I chose a random image and pressed Alt-Print-Screen, I could not find the screenshot in the new location anywhere. However, it will still paste into Microsoft Word. Why are they not going into my allocated screenshots folder where I want them? Thanks.

HB

Reaction score
Hi Bighorn,

Yes, I’ve found that to be the case on this revamped Windows 10 laptop. I can paste it into a Word document and save it anywhere then. However, on my other laptop, when on an image and I press Alt-print-screen, the image automatically goes into my screenshots folder. That is what I was hoping to do with this laptop. If I can do that on my other laptop, (also Win 10), surely I can achieve it on my revamped laptop. I just need to know how? Thanks.

HB

Reaction score
Edit: yes, I paste it into Microsoft Paint and save it as a JPEG to anywhere I want. However, why does it immediately go into a specified folder on my other laptop when I say Alt-Print-Screen?

HB

Reaction score
This is what is available on my Win10 Pro when putting Clipboard in the Search box on the Taskbar:

1690817427929.png

Is a third-party program that allows the saving installed on the machine with the Screenshots folder?

Reaction score
I don’t think I have a third-party program that does this on my other laptop. I will have to check when I get it back from its repairs. The view you have shown is the same as mine below, except I have the clipboard history toggle off.

Untitled.png

Reaction score
Sorry I cannot offer more help. I havent used windows 10 for a while and can only offer from memory. Either way, I have always used the snipping tool together with its shortcut (prntscrn). I am not sure of the mechanics of your key combination.

Reaction score
Hey Dave, you and Bighorn have been extremely helpful. I at least now know how to generate a screenshot and place it in the folder of my choice. Thanks for all your help, guys.

I have posted another question in here that I haven’t had an answer to yet; any ideas on that one, guys?

HB

Reaction score
I have 2013 but haven't needed to set up Outlook as I use Webmail, can't replicate the issue.

Reaction score
I have just fixed it. Perhaps you gave me good luck, Bighorn! Should I lay it out on how I fixed it or just leave it?

HB

Reaction score
Since it's a different subject from this post I'd put it as a Reply in your original question about Outlook.

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I meant. Do you think it will help others? Do many people ask about Outlook here?

HB

Ask a Question