SOLVED Why am I able to change Read Only Files?

Reaction score
Hi
I have several thousand cooking recipes in txt files.
I made them all read-only to ensure no accidental editing is done.
I checked a couple of the txt files to see if I could edit them and I can.
Why would this happen? They do say read-only.
Thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi delichef,

Welcome to the Forum.

Off hand the only thing that springs to mind is that you may be storing your text files into a folder that at some time has had its attribute of Read-only turned off. When this is done the User is normally presented with the option to apply change to the Folder only, or by default to all files contained inside that Folder.

If you've accidently applied it to the Folders contents, then your individual text files will have had their Read-only status cancelled.

I'm not sure what kind of text document you are saving as, or what application you are using to open them, but for example, Office 365 now has an option to open files in Read-only mode, and to also create a new document with Read-only status only.

If your files are all in one Folder, you could right-click the folder and select properties then check the Read-only and then click Apply making sure you then chose to apply changes to all files in that Folder, to quickly protect your menus.

Let us know, how you go.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Seems I was wrong. I thought I could change the properties for several txt files at once to read-only. I had to do them individually.
Having tried to edit a txt file, it would not save. So the system is working. Consider this issue solved.
Thank you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and explanation of where you went wrong.

Information like that always helps others who might stumble into the same issue.

Glad you managed to sort it out!

Ask a Question