Why does an internal drive not appear so I can add it to Indexing?

Reaction score
I have 1 SSD & 4 internal HDD. One, drive H, does not index and does not appear in options to add to indexing. I checked the permissions on this drive and they are exactly same as my other three. All 4 are the exact same brand, model, size, etc. I'm at a loss. Does anyone know why or what I can do to add this drive to indexing?
indexing problem.png

Reaction score
Yes. Troubleshooting once before my post, once after your reply. Windows fix as referenced once before my post, once after your reply. Did not help. Option to add drive H to indexing still does not appear and search of This PC returns results from all drives except H.:(

Reaction score
Yes. All drives show in Disk Management. This drive, H, is 54% free. It, my C drive SSD and three other identical 4tb drives were installed at the time that I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

Reaction score
It is possible that indexing is turned off, from an earlier update. Try this:
Open File Explorer and Right-click on the drive, and select properties
Open the General tab
Make sure the checkmark from "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"., is on
Confirm the Attribute changes by selecting "apply changes to drive, subfolders and files, and click ok.

Reaction score
It is possible that indexing is turned off, from an earlier update. Try this:
Open File Explorer and Right-click on the drive, and select properties
Open the General tab
Make sure the checkmark from "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"., is on
Confirm the Attribute changes by selecting "apply changes to drive, subfolders and files, and click ok.

Attachments

• disk H properties.png
    disk H properties.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
You may be up to date but are you using the latest current version (1909). ;)

Reaction score
Have you looked thoroughly through the settings in the Settings - Search options. Make sure you have no excluded items. You could also turn on the Enhanced option, but I doubt that is the culprit.

Reaction score
Yes I have. I already had Enhanced turned on. Screen prints here

Attachments

• searching windows.png
    searching windows.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 217
  • search options.png
    search options.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 179
Reaction score
Have you checked what SATA ports each drive is using?, the main drive that contains Windows should be on SATA 0, the rest should be SATA 1, 2, 3 ,4 etc. :)

Ask a Question