Why does Windows have so many files?

Reaction score
Long story, cut short. You have a nasty virus somewhere. Download a program (Malwarebytes?) and do a scan.

I dont think its a virus but to your satisfaction I loaded and updated Malwarebytes and ran a scan
that found nothing but a few cookies ..

Notably - it only scanned about 400k+ items (far more sensible)

SO the question remains - WHY is WD telling me it 5.7 million?

Reaction score
Not much advice there, pal. The OP probably did that and arrived here, among other search possibilities.

Reaction score
Tim H By chance do you use MS One Drive? I believe that One Drive will create duplicate files which Defender will also scan. You can look for duplicated files in Explore. Duplicate files will include the computers name. eg. If you have a file named "Tim H Work.doc" The duplicate file on One Drive would be something like "Tim H PC Name Work.doc.
Also if you use Cloud, it also is nasty reputation for file duplication.
I'm no expert on One Drive or Cloud. I use neither one of them and never will.

Reaction score
I hope the op can solve this problem. I am sure many will benefit from a solution.

I have also read on the web, that a reason for this one-off behaviour, can be a particular combination of sleep and hibernate. In the case I read (cant find it for the moment) if all such functions are disabled, then you are home and dry.
I would say, if true, it is an unforgivable overlooked bug in Windows 10/Defender. Apparently, whenever this happens, Defender stops and starts over from the beginning

Ask a Question