Wi-Fi Logon Problem

Reaction score
A few days ago, I arrived at a bar/restaurant I frequent, which provides a "secure" Wi-Fi service for its customers. I had my new-to-me, Android 5.0.2 smartphone and my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet, which is running the Anniversary version of Windows 10, with me.

As it turned out, the restaurant had made some Wi-Fi changes and had a new password. My smartphone quickly accepted the new password, and I was connected to the Internet in a minute or two. Please note my smartphone had never been connected to that Wi-Fi.

However, my tablet, which had been connected to the Wi-Fi using the old password, refused to provide a field in which I could write the new password. I mucked about with the tablet's settings for a while but never found any combination that would allow the new password to be used. Apparently, the software was saying, "I already have a password, and it's the wrong one for this Wi-Fi."

So, if anyone knows how to work around the password problem, please let me know. At this point, I don't know if Windows 10 is the problem, the Wi-Fi source is the problem, or I simply don't know how to change an old password to a new one.

Reaction score
Try removing the connection on the Windows machine and let it scan to find it again. Then see if it allows you to enter the new password when iy finds the network again,

Reaction score
That idea passed through my mind while I was mucking about, but I didn't and still don't see any way of removing the target Wi-Fi service from the list on my tablet. What should I look for to remove the existing Wi-Fi entry? I need a shove the right direction.

I just found a setting that lets the user defeat the target Wi-Fi from turning on automatically when in range of its source. Maybe if I defeated the target Wi-Fi from turning on it would let me change the password.

Reaction score
I don't have any machines using WiFi at this instant but I remember that somewhere in Settings or clicking on the network icon that you could tell Windows to forget a network.

Reaction score
You are correct! I've seen and used that setting ages ago. I searched Windows 10 and found it at Windows Settings/Network & Internet/Wi-Fi/Manage known networks. Then, tapping on the network at issue gets the user to Properties and Forget. Tapping Forget makes the Wi-Fi network disappear. I presume at that point moving into range of the desired network makes it appear again, and the user can then enter the password and select, if desired, Connect automatically. Anyway, I'll try that procedure the next time I'm at the restaurant.

Ask a Question