SOLVED Logon and background image - icon list problems

Reaction score
When I log into WIn the first login presents me with no background image and the number of icons is reduced. If I logoff
my ID and log back on I get the full list of icons and there is my background picture. In the past I had to power down and power up and log back in several times to get the background image. If I did not get the image functions like selecting the control panel did not work. Some times when I log in I get the background image first try. Any suggestions. I will append more info about the first login with no background image when I have the patience to explore it again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've never used a background image, but I had a odd occurrence recently where several Universal apps literally disappeared on me, including Store app and Microsoft Edge app. They were not in the list of apps if you clicked the Start menu, nor did they appear on my Taskbar.

If I used the Search box it could not find them, and if I attempted to use the Run dialog, it too could not find the executable to run.

Now some users would love to know how to achieve this I am sure, but I won't go there *lol*

How I resolved this though was to do the following:
  • I right-clicked on Start and selected Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • When the UAC prompt appeared I clicked yes
  • Then in the Adminstrator: Windows PowerShell console I typed the following command to register all the Windows Universal apps:
Code:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I pressed Enter key to execute this command.

After about 2 minutes it completed registering all of Windows Universal apps​
  • I then closed the console and signed out
  • When I signed in again, all was well, the icons reappeared on my taskbar and in the Start menu, and all the apps were working fine again. I've not had this issue again since doing that.

It may be worth your while trying this yourself, as it only takes a few minutes tops to do.

Reaction score
Did you run the upgrade tool per my suggestion?. ;)

To check what got updated, System settings > Updates > Update history:

update history.JPG

Reaction score
Wolfie, I am sorry but I missed something along the way. I have not updated. What were you suggesting that I update and to what level.

Reaction score
I understand now. I have updated to 1703. Will be "testing" for a day or two to see if I still have this funny error.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have had the fun of several shut downs and power ups without the desktop background or missing icons problems.
My thanks to the members who replied with solutions. The upgrade fixed things. :)

Reaction score
HI canblue,

good to hear, please mark as solved so it helps others!. :)

Ask a Question