Win 10 activation error code 0xc004f050 with Win 7 product key on the PC

Reaction score
I'm getting this error code on my computer, its also telling me that i need to connect to to internet to register key however I'm connected and help on this would appreciated

Reaction score
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:
Method 1: Re-insert the product key by using the "Change product key" tool
To re-insert the product key, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start
    vistastartbutton.jpg
    , click Computer, and then click System properties on the toolbar.
  2. In the Windows activation section, click Change product key.

securityshield.jpg
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. In the Product key box, type the product key, and then click Next.
  4. Follow the steps in the Windows Activation Wizard to complete the activation process.

Reaction score
Method 2: Activate Windows by using the automated telephone system
To activate Windows by telephone, you must use an automated telephone system.

To activate Windows by using the automated telephone system, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start
    vistastartbutton.jpg
    , and then click Computer.
  2. Click System properties on the toolbar, and then click Click here to activate Windows now in the Windows activation section.

securityshield.jpg
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  3. Click Show me other ways to Activate.
  4. Click Use the automated phone system, and then follow the instructions

Reaction score
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:
Method 1: Re-insert the product key by using the "Change product key" tool
To re-insert the product key, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start
    vistastartbutton.jpg
    , click Computer, and then click System properties on the toolbar.
  2. In the Windows activation section, click Change product key.

securityshield.jpg
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
  3. In the Product key box, type the product key, and then click Next.
  4. Follow the steps in the Windows Activation Wizard to complete the activation process.
I've done that mate and still kicks me out with he same code

Reaction score
I am also having this issue, I installed Windows 10 Home on a new SSD and when I try to activate it with my Windows 8 key it doesn't accept it.

Reaction score
Me, too. Trying to activate Win 10 with my Win 7 product key, but keep getting denied. Activate section of Settings also isn't giving me any option to activate by phone to try to sort this out.

Reaction score
The key it wants is a Windows 10 key. If you do an upgrade, it activates automatically and generates a key specific to that hardware. If you do a clean install, you'll need a new key, or one from that specific hardware.

Reaction score
I used the Media Creation Tool on my activated windows 7 pro install and am getting this error message. This is SO stupid... I should have know MS would muck this up...

Reaction score
I used the Media Creation Tool as well ( iso to dvd and made clean install) and are having problems with activating windows.

If you're a laptop user like me with windows 8 preinstalled, the key will be buried in BIOS and you will need to enter it manually since it's not an upgrade where it would be done automatically. You can retrieve the key by doing the following:

1: Open command prompt
2: Type: powershell “(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey”

The key is supposed to work but it doesn't. What's the deal?

Reaction score
I used the Media Creation Tool as well ( iso to dvd and made clean install) and are having problems with activating windows.

If you're a laptop user like me with windows 8 preinstalled, the key will be buried in BIOS and you will need to enter it manually since it's not an upgrade where it would be done automatically. You can retrieve the key by doing the following:

1: Open command prompt
2: Type: powershell “(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey”

The key is supposed to work but it doesn't. What's the deal?
Your Windows 8 key is NOT supposed to work. It wants a Windows 10 key.

You can't do a clean installation of the free Windows 10 upgrade without doing an upgrade on that particular hardware first.

Reaction score
Your Windows 8 key is NOT supposed to work. It wants a Windows 10 key.

You can't do a clean installation of the free Windows 10 upgrade without doing an upgrade on that particular hardware first.

Thanks for clarifying that mate. So basically all of us who decided to clean install and NOT upgrade are screwed now, yay. What's the ******* point, why would we upgrade and then clean install???

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that mate. So basically all of us who decided to clean install and NOT upgrade are screwed now, yay. What's the ******* point, why would we upgrade and then clean install???
Upgrading registers your hardware with Microsoft, generating your Windows 10 key. A keyfinder program will show you the key on an upgraded system, but it shouldn't be necessary. Once the upgrade is done you can do a clean install whenever you want ON THE SAME HARDWARE.

Now, what qualifies as the "same hardware" is a mystery to me. From what I'm reading, Microsoft says a new mainboard means a new PC. I've no idea if a new HDD,SSD or video card could break your activation.

Reaction score
Upgrading registers your hardware with Microsoft, generating your Windows 10 key. A keyfinder program will show you the key on an upgraded system, but it shouldn't be necessary. Once the upgrade is done you can do a clean install whenever you want ON THE SAME HARDWARE.

Now, what qualifies as the "same hardware" is a mystery to me. From what I'm reading, Microsoft says a new mainboard means a new PC. I've no idea if a new HDD,SSD or video card could break your activation.

I'm afraid you are missing the point here. How are all the people around the world with Win7/Win8 that did a clean install using the ISO supposed to activate?

Reaction score
I'm afraid you are missing the point here. How are all the people around the world with Win7/Win8 that did a clean install using the ISO supposed to activate?
Reinstall their Windows 7/8 and do an upgrade. After that, do a clean install.

That's what I had to do here... Fortunately only on a virtual machine.

Reaction score
Reinstall their Windows 7/8 and do an upgrade. After that, do a clean install.

That's what I had to do here... Fortunately only on a virtual machine.

That's one option but that simply shouldn't be necessary here. Seriously, theres no point in Microsoft putting out this ISO, just to let us go back and do it the other way around. You know, there are tons of reasons for people choosing the ISO option instead of upgrade.

Reaction score
I'm getting this error code on my computer, its also telling me that i need to connect to to internet to register key however I'm connected and help on this would appreciated
I was on the Microsoft chat for over a half an hour and the final results were there is a problem with the server and they will come out with a fix for this. Note I reinstalled windows 7 and the key I always used comes up genuine and active, when I upgrade to windows 10 it said not Genuine. So reinstalling windows did nothing for me but take time and 140 or so updates. And the posting is right Windows 0 will not take a 7,8,or 8.1 number unless you use the upgrade function. That was confirmed by Microsoft. Wait and see at least it doesn't say your locked out after 30 day.. Yet.

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have this problem and hope someone can help me. After reading the above, I understand that my problem are because I had win 7 from the start, then did the win 10 upgrade, and everything worked gr8, except I wanted to do a clean install, and made the DVD and now I'm stuck.
I have the same hardware, but I never got a win 10 key. As you say my hardware is registrated with Microsoft, generating the key. But how do I retrive THAT key?
Cuz the only sulotion if I understand it right, is to reinstall my win 7 edition, then do the win 10 upgrade, retrive the key somehow??
And then do another clean install of win 10 and enter the key I dont know how to find o_O
Damn you Microsoft, DAMN you...
Have they never heard about making it simple and easy for their customers! :mad:

Anyhow, I'm really greatfull for all help! (And sorry for all typos and bad language, I'm a swede :))
Cheers
Chriz

Ask a Question