Windows 10 Activation Error : 0xC004F050

Reaction score
Please help me with the activation of my Windows 10 on upgradation from Windows 7 Home Premium. I keep getting the error code 0xC004F050 when I try to activate my windows. I have the original Windows sticker with the Windows Code pasted on my system.

Another error with the Error code: 0xC004C003 is also displayed in the Error Details section of Windows Activation.

Reaction score
How did you upgrade your Win 7 Home Prem to Windows 10 Home ?
If you did it through Windows Update, you shouldn't have to enter product key. Activation is automatic.

Did you do a clean install using the ISO ?

adding......
Your Win 7 product key won't work. It's looking for a Windows 10 product key which is NOT available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you did it through Windows Update, you shouldn't have to enter product key. Activation is automatic.

adding......
Your Win 7 product key won't work. It's looking for a Windows 10 product key which is NOT available.

So how are all the people around the world with Win7/Win8 that did a clean install using the ISO supposed to activate?

Reaction score
I also have the same problem. While looking around yesterday when it first happened I stumbled across a Microsoft support thread that suggested this was being caused by the activation servers being overloaded at Microsoft and to wait a few days and to try again. Seems a bit strange to me though. I can't find the thread now though so can't post a link here.

I'm a bit worried about installing other software in case I have to undo everything again if this problem doesn't resolve.

I wanted a clean install because my computer was showing some serious configuration issues that a clean install would resolve. I suppose the only alternative to starting with Windows 10 afresh is to install Windows 7 using the licence code for that and then upgrade. Seems like a lot of hassle.

I'd be very pleased to hear of any solutions that people find.

Reaction score
1. Microsoft wants all users to do upgrade through Windows Update. That is why there is NO Windows 10 product key released.
2. Using the ISO to install does NOT mean it has to be done by Clean Install.
ISO file can be used to do "in-place" install.
3. Microsoft also told us that we can do a clean install with the ISOI, BUT do it AFTER we have upgraded it through Windows Update.
After the initial upgrade is successful, we can then, if we still want to, download the ISO and do a clean install.
Yes, that would mean we install Windows 10 TWICE.
However, some fanatic Clean Install advocates will do just that.

There are some moderators in another forum saying that one can do the clean install with the ISO. When the system asks for the product key, just click the "do that later" and continue. Installation will be completed but not activated. According to them ( the mods ), the cloud server will activate it a few days later.
That's what they said. I just repeat them. Don't hold me to that.

Reaction score
1. Microsoft wants all users to do upgrade through Windows Update. That is why there is NO Windows 10 product key released.
2. Using the ISO to install does NOT mean it has to be done by Clean Install.
ISO file can be used to do "in-place" install.
3. Microsoft also told us that we can do a clean install with the ISOI, BUT do it AFTER we have upgraded it through Windows Update.
After the initial upgrade is successful, we can then, if we still want to, download the ISO and do a clean install.
Yes, that would mean we install Windows 10 TWICE.
However, some fanatic Clean Install advocates will do just that.

There are some moderators in another forum saying that one can do the clean install with the ISO. When the system asks for the product key, just click the "do that later" and continue. Installation will be completed but not activated. According to them ( the mods ), the cloud server will activate it a few days later.
That's what they said. I just repeat them. Don't hold me to that.

You might be right about the cloud server activating it a few days later according to this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...duct-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

• If you are prompted to enter a product key, click Do this later and give it a few days, Windows 10 will activate automatically.

I have my doubts about this but lets wait and see.

Reaction score
What about the install from MS failing? Software has bugs - has anyone factored that?

After receiving the notification that Win-10 is ready for upgrade, I started the download.

Here is what happened to me:
1) Software download failed with error code 0x80070057. So I began the hunt to figure out what was wrong. After doing the myriad of things suggested by MS Support articles, I came across this one which suggested I do an update from an ISO. So I downloaded the ISO (Single Language) and tried the upgrade from the ISO.
2) Doing the update from the ISO I tried the update install options (including running setup.exe as admin etc.) and the install FAILED!!!! While doing that, the software initiated stops working - no error codes. The process just vanishes (or dies...)
3) I followed the https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509997 and uninstalled ESET - that did not help either.

So I was left with no choice - I HAD TO do a clean install.

Now I'm stuck in activation hell. For one, I do not like to use unactivated software or pirated software and this non activation rubs me the wrong way. Hurry up MS - if the servers are backlogged - perhaps use the Amazon virtual machines to offload the activation services ? ;-)

In all fairness my Win 7 had a real bizzare issue which caused the "File -> Save As" from any app to cause the app to crash EXCEPT MS apps. So for example, while viewing a PDF and trying to save it would cause the PDF app to fail (and I did try different PDF apps.) Same thing with different browsers. I tried to chase that issue down to no avail. So I'm wondering if that caused the Win-10 install to fail.

Oh well the mysteries of MS Windows. Can anyone shed light as to what should I do. I definitely DO NOT want to pay for a new WIN-10 license when I'm due an upgrade.

Can anyone shed light on it?

PS - has any tried calling MS support lately regarding the Key upgrade? WAIT TIMES ARE 90 minutes. I could play a full game of soccer, come back and still not have reached a support person. Getting a cup of coffee to get an answer seems so yester year thing....

Reaction score
I too am having these issues. I went through the upgrade process only it killed just about everything on my PC. I couldn't connect to the internet through any means, so if it was supposed to validate my hardware after the upgrade that never happened. After doing a fresh install using the tools to create a bootable flash drive, everything is working properly only it tells me my key is invalid.

I can't reinstall to Win 7 and try the upgrade process again because my computer did not come with a windows disk and if I try to download a recovery ISO for Win 7 from Microsoft, it tells me my version is a retail copy and I must contact the manufacturer for replacement. They want 45$ plus shipping to send me this disk.

I hope some option to upgrade our older product keys into Win 10 ones becomes available as I do not want to pay 110$ to purchase a new Win 10 product key to complete my free upgrade.

Reaction score

adding......
It's really complex. It is better to buy new Windows 10 from genuine stores like Amazon, Soft4Home, and Ali Express.

Ask a Question