Win 10 Download stuck at updates

Reaction score
I am upgrading from Windows 7 to a pc but it seems to be stuck looking for updates. should I start again? Well, I am starting over but was wondering if I could do something different to avoid the problem.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think a lot of people who've had a similar issue have associated it with a wireless network adapter, usually a wireless USB Dongle and according to what I've heard, removing that allowed the upgrade to complete.
I know that Windows 10 during and post upgrade does not seem to like some USB peripherals so, if you are going to use them at any point in time, do your best to locate and install the best and latest driver you can find.

Reaction score
Are you upgrading through Windows Update or through Windows 10 ISO file ?

It took me at least 3 hours from downloading to installing. Patience is the operating word.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes it was still actively working even though the progress of the update search said 0% for at least 45 minutes before I went out, I just got back after two hours while it ran and when I got back it said it was ready and it began to load rapidly when I clicked next but after a short while and 75% completion of that phase, it quit and reverted back to 7. The error message was 0xC1900101_0x20017 The installation failed in the Safe OS phase with an error during Boot operation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think a lot of people who've had a similar issue have associated it with a wireless network adapter, usually a wireless USB Dongle and according to what I've heard, removing that allowed the upgrade to complete.
I know that Windows 10 during and post upgrade does not seem to like some USB peripherals so, if you are going to use them at any point in time, do your best to locate and install the best and latest driver you can find.
I removed my new usb drive and am starting again now. Oops I put it back because I need it to create the media tool. This is a newly built pc and though I tried to get the latest drivers, I am not certain that I was 100% successful. In fact I see in the Devise Manager that "Intel(R) Series C220 Series B xHCI HC-8C31" has no driver. I was hoping that would be resolved when Windows 10 loads.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got a lot further along this time but it still failed. Will try again one more time but if that fails I will wait for Microsoft to put the upgrade logo on my taskbar. Maybe that will work.

Ask a Question