SOLVED Win 10 pro Word 2003 cannot paste images

Reaction score
Have successfully used Word 2003 with Win 10 Pro for years. Recently cannot paste any photo image in Word. When attempting this action, only the black border appears. Have not changed anything that I know of within Word 2003 or Win 10 Pro to cause this error. Can post image successfully in Microsoft Office Picture Manager or Paint. Any advice will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Did you buy the word program on a disc or have you Copied it to something physical so as to load it again with the security code as a last resort.

Without any technical info, were the photo's Copied with an incompatable program, or perhaps say 1600 dpi and word 2003 might accept 300dpi to start with with a smaller area to test its limits if any at all.

I use word 2007 from a Home and student edition came on a Disk that I have had to reinstall many times after my son deletes programs.
I also use a snipping tool that I paste copies into my word docs

Reaction score
Have you checked whether an image can be dragged/pasted into WordPad? You'll find it in Start, W section, Windows Accessories. It's pretty much a 'lite' version of Word, included in Windows.

Reaction score
Did you buy the word program on a disc or have you Copied it to something physical so as to load it again with the security code as a last resort.

Without any technical info, were the photo's Copied with an incompatable program, or perhaps say 1600 dpi and word 2003 might accept 300dpi to start with with a smaller area to test its limits if any at all.

I use word 2007 from a Home and student edition came on a Disk that I have had to reinstall many times after my son deletes programs.
I also use a snipping tool that I paste copies into my word docs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word is part of the MS Office program on disc, purchased years ago. It has worked fine for the past 4 years on Win 10 Pro. It was easy to copy any .jpg file and paste on a Word page. I have another laptop with Win 7 and the same version of Word installed on it. I tested to see if the function still works on that unit, and it does. So this leads me to believe that a recent "update" provided for Win 10 has caused this problem.

Reaction score
I continued my search for an answer to this problem and discovered the solution! Others have had this occur and it was suggested to check as follows: open the Win 2003 WORD program. Go to: Tools/Options/View. There is a check box for "picture placeholders". Unchecking this did the trick. I have no idea how this box got checked, but I do appreciate the person who discovered this.

Ask a Question