Win 10 Transfer to new PC.

Reaction score
I had a retail version of Win 7 Pro which upgraded to Win 10 Pro activated with a digital license, linked to my Microsoft Account

I now plan to build a new PC for Win 11, and wonder if I can use my current Win 10 product key to auto upgrade to Win 11 in my new PC, w/o installing Win 10 first .

Alternatively, can I use my Win 10 Product key to install Win 10 on my new PC and then auto upgrade to Win 11.

Thanks

Reaction score
the answer is definitely NO. The Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7, albeit free, is connected to your hardware. When upgrading to Windows 10, a hardware token is stored on Microsoft's server. That way you do not need to install Windows 7 in case you need to reinstall windows 10. You can upgrade your Windows 10 to Windows 11 on the same PC, however, if you plan to build a new PC, that digital license you have, is only valid with your old PC. For the new PC you have to get a new license as the hardware does not fit anymore.

Ask a Question