Win10 boot

Reaction score
Windows 10 Pro will not boot....error message "inaccessible boot device"......when I manage to get into command prompt the only thing it recognizes is x, no c or d etc.

I need help .... please...I have an HP computer. I think its a problem with the bios. cant even change USB on top of desktop ID #s.

Thanks,

Ruth Napier

Reaction score
X contains all the files that are on C. Regedit posted recently on this and how to fix it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I assume you have accessed the Command Prompt via the Windows 10 Recovery.

Thus in the prompt you ought to see X:\Windows\System32>

If that is what you are seeing, you can try entering the following commands, in the order given. Note: Press Enter key after typing each command, to execute it, before typing the next command.

At the X:\Windows\System32> prompt type the following:

Code:
bootrec /fixmbr

Code:
bootrec /fixboot

Code:
bcdedit /export c:\bcdBackup

Code:
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

Code:
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

Code:
bootrec /rebuildbcd
  • Note: After pressing Enter key on this command, there will be a pause, then you'll see a list of options. Type Y and press enter key
Finally, type exit and press Enter key to close the command console.

Now shutdown, and restart computer.

All going well it ought to work. If not, then let the Forum know, as there are other things you can look at doing.

Reaction score
X:\ should be your CD or USB drive. If you've messed up the BIOS settings, try to reset the BIOS settings to factory defaults.

Ask a Question