SOLVED Win7 Pro to 10 upgrade login WiFi issue

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just joined to share my experience/ situation in case it helps someone else - I couldn't find a similar one after a reasonable time searching.
My HP 248 G1 laptop was running it's original copy of W7 Pro, and last night I chose to start the upgrade process. It was connected to the web via a WiFi dongle (TP-Link TL-WN727N with it's software program installed). I stayed awake till it had downloaded and asked the various permissions to begin the installation.
Sometime during the night I woke to find a "Welcome to Windows 10" screen that asked me to enter my password. I did this and clicked next, and nothing happened... waited a few minutes, then did the obvious and clicked again to see the spinning wheel come up. I thought "good sign" and waited. I fell asleep after about 20 minutes and woke later to a black screen.
Nothing responded, so I re-started and this cycle of frustration was repeated several times over the next few hours, including trying the soft keyboard on the screen etc. - all to no avail. It did recognise if I entered an incorrect password, so it had a fair bit of functionality, however it just wouldn't go past that point.
Long story shortened was that I had to remove the WiFi dongle, plug it directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, restart the laptop and problem solved. Looks like it manages to ignore the WiFi dongle somewhere in the install process.
Once sorted the dongle works fine again (necessary as the built-in HP adaptor has the worst reception I've ever struck on a device!).
Cheers, and I hope this is useful to someone.

Reaction score
Check the properties of the dongle. Look for "Allow computer to turn....to save power" and make sure that is OFF otherwise you may sometimes get your wifi just stopping working.
I wonder if some artifact of that happened during install, so it could not continue because it had carefully turned the dongle off. Built in Ethernet adapters have the same thing but they either don't turn off or they instantly turn on and work...who knows.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Cheers, and I hope this is useful to someone.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience.
We've heard similar reports from other members as well regarding wireless dongles, preventing or hanging the update / upgrade process.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question