Win7/Win10

Reaction score
Before I format my windows 7 hard drive..Could windows 10 see it and could I work on it?

Reaction score
Not enough information. Is Win7 on a second drive? Do you want to use it for additional storage? Conventional wisdom is to install Win10 on the only drive in a computer then when it is working properly shut down and connect a second drive and get it identified by the BIOS which then can be cleaned by Disk Management.

Reaction score
Hi Bighorn, the drive is out of an old desktop, so it would an external drive with windows7. I was going to format it and use it for storage, but in light of that all my old software will work on it, I wondered if windows10 would find it and I could use it.

Reaction score
It's possible but due to Windows-based programs needs to put support files in Windows, create icons and make Registry entries so Windows knows how to run the programs there will be issues. Also involved is some programs don't like to be on removable drives.

Reaction score
Right, that's fair enough Bighorn. I'm not one for complecating matters, and it's no good living in the past I suppose.

Ask a Question