Factory reset(win7) and reinstall Win10

Reaction score
I have a HP notebook that I want to do factory reset which had Win 7. Once reset how do I reinstall Win10 when the free upgrade was offered? Provide links if needed?

thanks

Reaction score
From your wording... does the Laptop have W10 installed now. It sounds as if it has a broken version that needs to be reloaded.

If it has ever had a W10 version loaded and activated you can just download W10 and install it.

Reaction score
If it has ever had a W10 version loaded and activated you can just download W10 and install it.
That's also the way I've gone with both Win7 and Win8/8.1, much quicker than doing the Factory Reset then reinstall. And if Win10 is actually working can do the Reset in Updates and Security.

Reaction score
From your wording... does the Laptop have W10 installed now. It sounds as if it has a broken version that needs to be reloaded.

Yes fully activated Win10, just want to make sure all personal data is removed before selling. I presume current reset will restore OEM, I maybe wrong and it has Win8 when purchased, if so how can I check what was the original version of Win?

Reaction score
You can tell a full reinstall to delete all files except Windows itself. I don't know what cruft that might leave behind...never had to do it.

Reaction score
There is an option to "clean" the hard drive when you do a system reset in case you are selling or giving the PC away. I'm sure someone savvy enough could still get info off it. How much I don't know. I usually either pull the hard drive and/or replace it with a new one before reselling any of mine. Here's a step by step in doing a system reset.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've always been pretty comfortable using Shift + F10 during a clean install to open a Command Prompt at the beginning to use DiskPart to "Clean" the target drive and then perform the clean install to the empty drive's unallocated space.
I guess if I was very serious and a bit paranoid I'd use something like DBAN to completely overwrite it.

Ask a Question