SOLVED Window 10 Activation

Reaction score
Hi ! I think I am welcomed here. Some please has the answer to my query. " Can I install window 10 multi boot on a separate drive, having the eligibility of free upgrade from Windows 7. If yes, How will it be done"

Reaction score
Not with the version of Windows 7 you used to upgrade from. That key will be invalid after using it to upgrade.

Reaction score
No. Been there done that. I installed 10 on a dual boot with 7. 10 was not activated until I purchased a download including product key from Microsoft. Didn't actually use download since unactivated 10 was already in place. Somewhere in 10 settings product key can be entered to activate 10.

Cost was $119 plus tax. I think 10 works better with fewer nuisance notices since activation.

Reaction score
I did a clean install of Windows 10 on an SSD and I noticed two things;
1. I couldn't activate Win 10
2. It totally took over Win 7 by changing it to Win Old.
So much for trying to familiarise oneself with the OS before totally committing to it.
I suggest if you have a separate computer, this would be the way to test it however you cannot do a clean install.

Reaction score
Hi ! I think I am welcomed here. Some please has the answer to my query. " Can I install window 10 multi boot on a separate drive, having the eligibility of free upgrade from Windows 7. If yes, How will it be done"

Thank You Mr. BigFeet. But I have not yet upgraded from win 7. It is on a separate drive and I don't want to discard. I just wanted to install win 10 on another drive. Can I still exercise the right of eligibility to activate W 10

Reaction score
Thank You Mr. BigFeet. But I have not yet upgraded from win 7. It is on a separate drive and I don't want to discard. I just wanted to install win 10 on another drive. Can I still exercise the right of eligibility to activate W 10
No. The free version of Windows 10 is an upgrade. You either need to upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 first, then activate it. Then you may clean install Windows 10.

Reaction score
" Can I install window 10 multi boot on a separate drive, having the eligibility of free upgrade from Windows 7. If yes, How will it be done"

To Rajesh Sharma,

The FREE upgrade to Windows 10 is applicable ONLY if you upgrade over a genuine qualified Windows which, in your case, is Windows 7. If you do that, Windows 10 will be Activated automatically.
After and only after your Win 10 is activated, you can do clean install any time you want and as many times you want.

If you install Windows 10 into a partition where there is no operating system present, Windows 10 will get installed BUT it will not be activated. You will have to go buy a genuine Win 10 product key to activate, otherwise, your Windows 10 will stop working after 30 days.

If you want to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, you will have to buy a genuine Win 10 license and clean install Windows 10 into a new partition.

Reaction score
What davidhk 129 says is exactly correct because that's exactly how I dual booted 7 with 10 and then activated 10.

Reaction score
To Rajesh Sharma,

The FREE upgrade to Windows 10 is applicable ONLY if you upgrade over a genuine qualified Windows which, in your case, is Windows 7. If you do that, Windows 10 will be Activated automatically.
After and only after your Win 10 is activated, you can do clean install any time you want and as many times you want.

If you install Windows 10 into a partition where there is no operating system present, Windows 10 will get installed BUT it will not be activated. You will have to go buy a genuine Win 10 product key to activate, otherwise, your Windows 10 will stop working after 30 days.

If you want to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, you will have to buy a genuine Win 10 license and clean install Windows 10 into a new partition.

Reaction score

davidhk129; Reading an article in Google "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool". I take it that one needs a product key to do a clean install. So, if the upgrade does not give a product key how am I able to do a clean install? I realize I've become a lot slower on the "uptake", but how can this be?

Reaction score

davidhk129; Reading an article in Google "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool". I take it that one needs a product key to do a clean install. So, if the upgrade does not give a product key how am I able to do a clean install? I realize I've become a lot slower on the "uptake", but how can this be?

It had been said countless number of times........................
Microsoft has told us that we must FIRST upgrade to Windows 10 the ways described too many times for me to repeat. Doing UPGRADE method, Windows 10 will be activated automatically.
THEN, one can use the Windows 10 ISO and do a clean Install whenever one wants and as many times as one wants. If during the clean install, product key is asked, just click the SKIP box at the bottom and continue. Activation will be processed by Microsoft automatically.

*** Only 1 week ago, I messed up while deleting a Linux Mint dual boot set up and there was no way to access the computer. I inserted the Windows 10 DVD and did a clean install. Product key was asked. I clicked SKIP. After install it said not activated. Next day it was shown activated.

Reaction score
If you're running 7 then 10 will automatically let you know you're eligible to download. Only requirements needed are

A) It's been activated as genuine by a verified 7 COA, if it hasn't you would have been told after 30 days max.

B) You have downloaded the required update on 7 auto or manual updates.

This installs a white windows icon on your taskbar notifications, click it & it will ask you to reserve your free copy. I live in the UK and have done it twice on 7 PRO. Today it did it on 7 home premium immediately after reservation. Thing to remember is that they will not allow a new seperate install, it will install over the existing 7 & call it old version. It needs to as it copies many things that were on it, it is all automatic. No need to enter COA, network settings or transfer files & folders. You can revert to the original OS, 7 or 8 within 1 month. Or do as I did, double drives, 7 on one / 10 on the other. Haven't tried dual boot from a single drive as 10 will download what it wants, when it wants. Don't want to overwork the drive running 7 whilst downloading unknown to me on 10.

Ask a Question