SOLVED Windows 10 Activation Problem

Reaction score
Hello fellas,
I have a question. I have a Windows 7 Home Premium key and i had activated it on my PC the way before. I installed Windows 10 Home on my PC yesterday and went to: Settings>Update & Security>Activation>Change product key
I typed my Windows 7 key and it said that it was activated. Then i ran cmd and typed slmgr /dlv command and i saw a problem: Partial Product Key was FC2HD.
Then I checked that the product key was installed in my PC was 37GNV-YCQVD-38XP9-T848R-FC2HD, not my Windows 7 key. I searched that it's a generic key and it can't be used to activate Windows. What's up, is this normal?

Reaction score
Hi,

if you are up to it, try doing a fresh install, when you get to the part about the product key, click on "I don't have a product key". If your version of Win 10 was activated, it will auto activate once the install is complete. If it wasn't, use the Win 7 key you had on that machine to activate it!. :)

1604053500639.png

Reaction score
I used a Windows 8.1 Pro key to upgrade Windows 10 to pro & the key shown is the generic Win 10 pro key & not the Win 8 key so I would say that’s normal.
Even after a clean install the default key is shown.

Reaction score
Hi,

if you are up to it, try doing a fresh install, when you get to the part about the product key, click on "I don't have a product key". If your version of Win 10 was activated, it will auto activate once the install is complete. If it wasn't, use the Win 7 key you had on that machine to activate it!. :)

View attachment 12633
I have already done a fresh installation, i cleaned my hard disk, created new partitions and installed Windows on it, finally entered my Windows 7 key. Also i didn't see that enter your product key window because i remember my PC was came out with Windows 8 but i reverted it to 7 a long time ago.
I used a Windows 8.1 Pro key to upgrade Windows 10 to pro & the key shown is the generic Win 10 pro key & not the Win 8 key so I would say that’s normal.
Even after a clean install the default key is shown.
So you say when you install Windows 10 and enter a previous version of Windows' key, actually it registers as a generic key because it wasn't originated from 10, which refers to my question. Thanks for the information.

Reaction score
Yes.
When I clean install Windows 10 I just skip entering a key & it will automatically reactivate.
I sign in with a Microsoft account.

Ask a Question