Windows 10 And Your Privacy

Reaction score
If you noticed during the setup routine for Windows 10 there were some options to monitor your computer and its usage and send the data to Microsoft. One of the routines sends your browser use and is turned on by default. Searching through the settings menu will turn up quite a bit of data gathering routines that send information to Microsoft. Being magnanimous I'll grant that Microsoft may only be using the information to improve things but, the information is still viewed by employees and in some cases by vendors and other third parties making it vulnerable to misuse. I'm not totally paranoid but a certain amount of caution is needed to protect yourself from the dark side of the internet.

Pull up the all settings menu and start going through all of the various sections and it might be surprising how much of your computer use is gathered and sent to Microsoft and it is all turned on by default.

Windows 10 speech, inking, typing, and privacy: FAQ
Show all
What are speech, inking, and typing services?
When you interact with your Windows device by speaking, writing (handwriting), or typing, Microsoft collects speech, inking, and typing information—including information about your Calendar and People (also known as contacts)—that helps personalize your experience. This information improves your device’s ability to correctly recognize your input, such as your pronunciation and handwriting. You can turn the Speech, inking, and typing setting (which is called Getting to know you) on or off in Settings.

Note
  • If you want to use Cortana, you must have Getting to know you turned on.
We also collect your typed and handwritten words to improve character recognition and provide you with a personalized user dictionary and text completion suggestions. Some of this data is stored on your device and some is sent to Microsoft to help improve these services. You can turn the Send Microsoft info about how I write setting on or off in Settings.

Reaction score
Microsoft is not going to stop the practice no matter how much we whine about it.

Put up with it or switch to Apple or Ubuntur or Android.

Reaction score
First off david I'm not whining about it and I know that Microsoft or any other program vendor is not going to cease information gathering. I started the thread just as a discussion and to possibly alert some users who may not be aware of what goes on in the background of Windows 10 while they are using their computer. The options to turn off some of the privacy settings are not readily noticeable and can be hidden in some obscure setting.

Reaction score
Microsoft is not going to stop the practice no matter how much we whine about it.

Put up with it or switch to Apple or Ubuntur or Android.

That's a horrible attitude. If everyone took that attitude, we'd all be using win8....

Ya wanna force change...?? Do NOT use ANY metro apps.... that's one of ms's main ways their gonna make money off 10. Hit them where it hurts, they'll listen.

Ask a Question