SOLVED Windows 10 Anniversary 1607 nightmare

Reaction score
The automatic update happened last night and since it installed, I have had to use my phone to contact internet. (BTW: Microsoft isn't available for help on weekends)
I have tried so many things to get my laptop to boot up to no avail. (Still on phone) these are not listed in any particular order.
1.Trying to get to safe mode from login did not work. the power icon froze and in order to try again, I had to turn pc off.
2. saw a glimpse of my splash screen then black. again I powered off
3. My PC has been stuck in diagnostic repair loop for literally HOURS. First diagnosing , prepairing automatic repair - screen goes black, now, diagnosing your PC - yet again - how many diagnostic checks can there be? then, repairing disc(s), which may take hours or so it says [ I am about to start crying from frustration], now preparing automatic repair & black screen. and now the process repeats
4. I have removed battery with fingers crossed, nothing changed.
5. Function keys don't do anything nor escape key, cannot get out of this loop!
6. This is incomplete listing can't recall ever step or attempt to fix.
7. oh, yes, I tried my USB Windows 10 copy which was made per instructions from original new upgrade. THE lights flashed on USB but screen kept on in diagnostic loop.

Reaction score
What happened before your #1 ? I think you should have come to your machine in the morning(?) and found it sitting on the 'lock screen' waiting for you to log in. OR possibly still in Windows Update saying a restart is required.

Whichever case it was...what did you do next?

Reaction score
What happened before your #1 ? I think you should have come to your machine in the morning(?) and found it sitting on the 'lock screen' waiting for you to log in. OR possibly still in Windows Update saying a restart is required.

Whichever case it was...what did you do next?
The update had no trouble installing nor downloading as others have said.
I restarted, splash screen came up, hit enter like normal but couldn't enter password. updates should not be so difficult to navigate. to be honest, I cannot remember everything I tried or in what order.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure what state your computer is currently in, but....
I can relate one instance where I had a similar problem and
The "diagnosis" took approximately four (4) hours give or take a few minutes.
The "repair" took approximately another four (4) hours.
At the end of which I had roughly eight (8) hours invested and everything seemed to work fine afterwards.
I have no idea what or why the problem ocurred nor what steps were taken by the automated process. I just let it do its' thing a checked the hard drive activity light from time to time to see what was going on as the screens that were presented during the process were not very informative in showing any progress.

Reaction score
Well today I called the warranty company about my problems and now I have to ship my PC in for factory reset because I can't get into safe mode.
MS was absolutely no help at all, they wanted to send my call to paid tech services ($99.99). what a total disappointment MS is turning out to be & pretty soon they are going to be charging for the use of their OS/programs on a monthly basis from what I've been reading.
My PC WAS in perfect working order, although I am glad I paid for extended warranty, my PC isn't paid in full yet!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
now I have to ship my PC in for factory reset because I can't get into safe mode.
Sorry to hear that. I hope that you had an opportunity to back up all your critical data at some point as a factory reset will almost certainly cause you to lose that.
It's also unfortunate that they weren't able to instruct you as to how to perform a factory reset yourself that wouldn't require you to ship the device back to them.
Did you happen to ask about acquiring their factory media so that if, at some point in the future you needed to do something similar again you would be able to do it yourself?

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I hope that you had an opportunity to back up all your critical data at some point as a factory reset will almost certainly cause you to lose that.
It's also unfortunate that they weren't able to instruct you as to how to perform a factory reset yourself that wouldn't require you to ship the device back to them.
Did you happen to ask about acquiring their factory media so that if, at some point in the future you needed to do something similar again you would be able to do it yourself?
No I didn't think to ask because up to this point in my life, I thought all PCs used function keys identically not by manufacturer's design. The method they told me to get in safe mode didn't work, thus the factory reset at their place.
As far as data goes, my banking stuff is okay but pictures & videos, I'm not sure about. I've backed them up before but don't know how recently. Am researching ways to to that without having to pay (I'm retired) someone to do it for me. Of course, MS won't help at all. I am thinking of just keeping Windows 8 on my system for a while - at least until I finish paying off the laptop.
BTW: what is Factory Media?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
BTW: what is Factory Media?
Factory Media is typically a DVD or set of DVDs that you can boot from and then step through a process of recoverying the computer to its' factory fresh settings, normally referred to as OOBE (Out of Box Experience).
Generally, if available, the OEM will supply them upon request, often for free if the machine is under warranty or if not, for a nominal fee.

Be mindful that the factory folk have a set of guidelines for dealing with issues and are pretty closed off to alternative solutions.

You might, with some time and patients, be able to download the ISO that matches your Windows 10 installation from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
With that you can use either ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
To create installation media from which you can boot your machine and attempt to use some of the advanced trouble shooting options which may or may not help with your problem.

OF course this would require a second working machine for you to get any of that done.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! It's me again. I am still using the W8.1 OS but am wondering if there has been a solution to that update from last November 2016? Made a USB of W10 OS but am really hesitant to use it because of the mess I went through with that update. Has anyone heard anything about it, BTW: still not using any manufacturer's original programs, really do not need them.
Thanks again for any suggestions. And, yes, I will back up a recovery USB before doing anything. :)

ps. I am going to double post this as a new thread as it was marked solved.

Reaction score
There have been others on this forum with difficulties upgrading to Win10-AU. Nothing common among them.
1. Perform an image backup using Macrium Reflect.
2. Do not boot from the Win10 USB, perform an in-place upgrade, i.e. double-click the setup.exe file from within Windows.
3. If it's not successful, it should roll back to Win8.1.
OR
2. Boot from the Win10 USB & perform a clean install
3. If it's not successful, there is nothing to roll back to.

Ask a Question