Windows 10 Anniversary update.

Reaction score
I tried installing the Windows 10 anniversary update 7 times. The first 3 attempts crashed the computer in the middle of the update. I finally got it to install by not using windows update. As soon as windows finished loading the computer just froze with the wheel spinning forever as soon as I tried any apps. I rebooted and the same thing happened. I used msconfig and only loaded Microsoft software and disabled all regular startup programs. Even that didn't help and the computer still froze up. I had to uninstall the anniversary update to get Windows 10 working right again. I hate Microsoft. I wish we could have a class action law suite against this incompetent company. My computer is a brand new i7-6700K CPU @4.00Ghz not overclocked with 16gigs DDR4/3000 DIMMS on an ASRock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 System Board with latest firmware running Nvidea GTX970 video card with a 256GB SATA Solid State Drive and 2 gig hard drive. I would consider myself a very advanced computer user who repairs everyone else's computer when they have problems.

Reaction score
The whole update procedures from day one have been a disaster for many users. It seems hit and miss.
MS should be ashamed, The OS is great, it's the updates how they are delivered and the information MS collects about users habits that's concerning.

Bif

Reaction score
The whole update procedures from day one have been a disaster for many users. It seems hit and miss.
MS should be ashamed, The OS is great, it's the updates how they are delivered and the information MS collects about users habits that's concerning.
Agreed Norton on the update/upgrade process leaving a lot to be desired, but MS is by far the only ones to be collecting user information. I believe we all need to get over the misconceptions that there is any privacy in the digital world or beyond, it's unnecessary worrying about something that is and will never change...just my opinion.

Reaction score
Agreed Norton on the update/upgrade process leaving a lot to be desired, but MS is by far the only ones to be collecting user information. I believe we all need to get over the misconceptions that there is any privacy in the digital world or beyond, it's unnecessary worrying about something that is and will never change...just my opinion.
Right on. See the link in my post here:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/internet-surprises.10031/

Reaction score
Bif I can use Edge for an hour or two and I see more browser tracking than I do if I use Firefox all day. I know we can't eliminate tracking, so If I can't eliminate it, I can control it. Needless to say, I don't use Edge. I use DuckDuckGO as search engine, their aim is to protect privacy, and delivering the best matched search results.

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
Bif I can use Edge for an hour or two and I see more browser tracking than I do if I use Firefox all day. I know we can't eliminate tracking, so If I can't eliminate it, I can control it. Needless to say, I don't use Edge. I use DuckDuckGO as search engine, their aim is to protect privacy, and delivering the best matched search results.
I have never used any of MS's browsers and never will for the aforementioned reasons and others, I use Firefox and have done so for many years...I agree about DuckDuckGo.. it's a gooder!..

Reaction score
On the subject of browser security, you guys might find this interesting. Read each summary thoroughly, before jumping to a false conclusion.
A lot has happened in the MS world in the last couple of weeks, but the page is reasonably up to date. The only browser not mentioned is Epic. It is barebones and not to everyones taste, therefore, but is certainly way up in the ranks of security.

But, imho, in the link, you can see that IE has the highest detection rate, and it does have the option to automatically clear everything when you close the browser. In Windows 10 settings - privacy, I have also turned off as much as is practical. .

http://tiptopsecurity.com/safest-web-browser-chrome-firefox-ie-opera-safari-comparison-chart/

Another possibility is in the customising options of most browsers. Again, a link. But, most interesting in this link are the suggestions towards the bottom of the page, as to how to set up individual browsers.

http://www.howtogeek.com/115483/htg-explains-learn-how-websites-are-tracking-you-online/

As the author says, whenever you go on a site, particularly with adverts, you are immediately being loaded with cookies and other unwanted material. In that respect, this forum site is relatively clean. You evne have to trust the Admin/owners of the site, as they have the means to find among other things, your IP address and even which browser you are using.

I certainly support BIf and other views that, in my case, anyone is welcome to have a look at what I make available on my HD

As a matter of curiosity, Norton, in what area are you observing tracking. With the amount that is going on by the second, I would find it difficult to keep up! with.it

Last edited:

Ask a Question