SOLVED Windows 10 appears to be installed and its not

Reaction score
Ok Thanks, I have two images, My question is, do I upload these images without doing anything to them. Thanks again

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally that function will produce an image of suitable size for attaching to your next post in this thread.
Simply use the "Upload file" button under the reply text box and browse to your images.

Reaction score
Davidhk129,
OK, I believe I can show you to screen shots that will explain my dilemma. The first shot if it doesn't get rejected for size, even though I resized both shots, is the desktop. Notice the windows icon on lower left side where the start is normally in 8.1, will change to blue when pointed to. The second shot is a windows 10 look a like, with Microsoft Edge and Cortano tiles missing. It really fooled me at first because I was in 8.1 only, never in windows 10. Once again, this is what I received when I thought I was upgrading to windows 10 after the initial setup of my new Dell desktop, and the next gave me the opportunity to upgrade now, without going through the reserved windows 10. I have not yet attempted to upgrade using my reservation, as I am still cautious if a problem due to the fake upgrade I created. Thanks. Oops, I used Paint for the two shots, and saved as jpg files and resized both. However, they are being rejected as not an image as expected. What is your suggestion to use, as Paint works good for me.
Ok with additional help from Trouble, I will attempt the two files per my comments above.
View attachment 1348

View attachment 1349

Your 2 screenshots work. I can see them very clearly.

They, particularly the 2nd screenshot, appear to be Win 8.1 screenshots.
Why guessing ?
I don't remember the exact steps in Win 8.1. I had Win 8.1 only a short time.
The following is just by memory................
Go to your Start Menu screen, click the magnifying glass at top right corner > type Run > click Run in the drop down list > in the Run box, type winver > click OK
The new window will tell you which Windows OS you have.

Reaction score
As to upgrading to Windows 10........
If you have the Get Windows 10 icon on your system tray as you said in one of the replies, and if you wish, click it open and make the reservation.
I think I had explained that part in one of my earlier replies, so I won't bore you with repetition.

Reaction score
There is, however, another way to install Windows 10 over your Win 8.1 without waiting for Windows Update.
You can do so right now.
Do you want to do that ?

Reaction score
Ok David,
I had to circumvent finding the run box. When I found it and typed winver it displayed I have windows 8. With that issued resolved, I will upgrade to Windows 10. Not sure I will do it before bedtime or tomorrow. If it loads successfully, I will post a final reply to you and consider my problem solved. I want to thank you in advance for all your help. I could have avoided the lost time if I just would have waited for the get windows 10 icon, and download the right way. Much appreciation extended to you. Jetman

Reaction score
Wait.
Post a screenshot of the box that says you have Windows 8.

My understanding is...... you need to upgrade to Win 8.1 first before you can upgrade to Win 10.
From my memory, go to Windows Store, look for update to Win 8.1
My memory on updating to Win 8.1 is faint.
Maybe someone will chip in to help the OP out.

Reaction score
David,

I just clicked on my get windows 10 icon, and it has a box that says upgrade now. When I received the get windows icon, it was saying my computer is compatible. I will wait for clarification I hope soon from the forum.

Reaction score
To make sure if you have Win 8 or Win 8.1, follow this..................
at you taskbar, click the file explorer
file explorer.jpg

In the File Explorer window, left side, click This PC > at the top, click System Properties > under Windows Edition, it should tell you Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

Reaction score
I have Windows 8.1 x64. I am happy you are cautious too. I will return with a final post. Thanks

Reaction score
David,
I have successfully loaded windows 10 in my computer. The operation was flawless, and I do not anticipate any problems with thorough checkout, based on the installation. Thanks again for your help. If you are still monitoring, please mark my post resolved after you have read this. Take care. Jetman

Reaction score
Good to know you have succeeded.

I cannot mark your thread as Solved.
ONLY you, the original poster, and the Moderators have the power to do that.

Ask a Question