Windows 10 Automatic Update Fails - Can't Install Windows from USB

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having issues with automatic Windows updates to a cheap Windows 10 Computer. It is a Lenovo Yoga 11e that I intended to use as a digital calendar. Because it restarts everyday it is worthless at this point. The update fails with error code 0x800f0922. I have tried everything below, is there something missing to my troubleshooting, or am I doing something wrong?

1. Windows Troubleshooter: Tried Windows troubleshooter for Windows update. I have tried this several times, and typically it finds nothing. At one point in the process it did claim to find a registry error and fixed it.
  2. Turn off Anti-Virus and Firewall: I have turned off Antivirus(“Real-time protection” and “Cloud-delivered protection”) in “Virus & threat protection settings. The Domain network firewall is off, as well as the private network.
  3. Checked the .NET framework - both 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and 4.8 Advanced Services are checked. The2 folders within each of those folders are checked or turned on.
  4. System Restore: I cannot use system restore, because I do not have a restore point.
  5. Disabling Automatic Updates:I have tried to disable Automatic updates by doing this (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10):
    1. Open Start.
    2. Search for gpedit.msc and click the top result to launch the Local Group Policy Editor.
    3. Navigate to the following path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    4. Double-click the "Configure Automatic Updates" policy on the right side.
    5. Check the Disabled option to turn off automatic Windows 10 updates permanently.
    6. Click Apply, then OK
    7. It does NOT work to stop the updates.
  6. Checking Computer Health: I have used the following code in cmd:
    1. dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth - "No componet store curruption detected. The operation completed successfully
    2. dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth - "The restore operation completed successfully.".
    3. dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup - "The operation was completed successfully"
    4. sfc /scannow - "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"
  7. Resetting Windows Update Components
    1. Step 2: In the CMD popup, type the following commands in turn and click Enter to execute the operations after each one:
    2. net stop wuauserv
    3. net stop cryptSvc
    4. net stop bits
    5. net stop msiserver
    6. ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    7. ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    8. net start wuauserv
    9. net start cryptSvc
    10. net start bits
    11. net start msiserver
  8. Custom Install of Windows 10 from Flash Drive: Tried downloading the “Create Windows 10 installation Media” (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) on a 15 gig usb flash drive.
    1. This will take me to the Windows setup page when restarting from boot.
    2. I select enter to take me to BIOS screen, the F12 to select “Choose a temporary start-up device”
    3. From the Boot menu, I select "USB HDD: PNY USB 2.0 FD". From there I select the "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)" - if I select the other option it doesn't allow me to. From there it takes me to the disk partition, which I have also attached photos of. I am forced to select Drive 0 Partition 3, as this is the only one with enough space, and the only option it allows me to pick. On the "Select the Operating System you want to install" I select Windows 10 Pro, because that was what was on the machine when I received it. I do not have the windows product code.
    4. Half-way through, it will say "the installation was canceled" "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation"

Here are photos of all of this process.
What am I missing here? Could I use Linux and avoid all of this?

Ask a Question