Windows 10 BSOD during installation. Please help.

Reaction score
Hello all

I bought a new pc and had a fresh windows 10 installation. Everything seems to go fine and there were only a couple of problems with some drivers. System was great, games great.

After the update though I started having BSOD. The point is they didn't stop. Errors like system service exceptions , KD, APC, etc. Google said they were mainly related to bad drivers. The point is that I couldn't boot the system any more.

I tried safe mode. Nope. Same errors. Sometimes it didn't even load the safe mode as the BSOD appeared. After much effort I decided to format everything and do a clean install. Guess what. BSOD after the installation and it couldn't be completed. Automatic repair. Nope, couldn't be completely either. There is nothing I can do right now and I am at a loss.

Can you please offer any help?

Skylake i7, H170 Pro gaming motherboard, gtx 970 strix, ddr4 2133, ssd crucial

Reaction score
If you're getting BSODs even while trying to install Windows, or in Safe Mode, then it's most likely hardware issue. Testing it is the only solution I can give you... The easy one is RAM - test it with memtest (boot it from a USB stick, don't run it while Windows is running). Then, depending on what you have available, test your GPU - try using different GPU in your PC, or test your GPU in a different PC. Same goes for CPU, but I'm guessing you most likely don't have another skylake processor lying around :v

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you running the latest BIOS update on that board.
It looks like there are several one of which as recently as last Friday, which says it "Improves System Stability"
Might be worth looking into.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, but I can't boot to Windows environment at all. How can I test these things or even update? I was running the latest as far as I could tell, but who knows with all the different updates? Can I run memtest booting it on usb even when there's no windows environment? The pc was running fine before the last update. I know everything is possible but having a hardware issue two weeks from purchase?

I just noticed a red glow on the motherboard, going on and off, even when the pc is switched off. That doesn't look normal...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
At this point you might be better off using the factory image partition on the "new computer's" drive to reset your computer to factory condition and see if that will hopefully get you booting again.
You don't mention the specific brand name but most OEMs provide a means of factory restore using a particular key combination on boot.
AND....
Yes you can boot memtest86+ from a CD or USB ThumbDrive to test your system memory.
Likewise you should be able to determine your current BIOS version by using whatever key is indicated during POST to enter System Setup / BIOS.
AND many board manufacturers provide some form of BIOS update utility that supports updating your system's BIOS without an operating system installed. You would have to check with their website for information on your exact / specific MoBo and Rev. # to see if they have something for you to use.

Reaction score
The motherboard is Asus. I am sorry but "factory partition" ? I know my way around a pc a bit but your post is quite advanced.

Many thanks for your time :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe save us some time.
Is the computer from an OEM, like HP, Dell, ASUS, etc., etc.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So, that would mean no OEM factory partition.
I tried safe mode. Nope. Same errors. Sometimes it didn't even load the safe mode as the BSOD appeared. After much effort I decided to format everything and do a clean install. Guess what. BSOD after the installation and it couldn't be completed. Automatic repair. Nope, couldn't be completely either. There is nothing I can do right now and I am at a loss.
Check your system memory by booting to the memtest86+ CD or thumb drive
Enter the BIOS and check your version, confirm the motherboard revision number and check ASUS and see if they have a BIOS Update newer than the one you are currently running and a means of installing it without booting an Operating System.
Check your Power Supply and confirm that it provides the necessary power to support your hardware, especially the amps on the 12 volt rail for your GPU.

Reaction score
My power supply is Corsair vs Series 550 watt psu, so I think it's ok.

I will try the rest you said, hopefully I can figure out how to do them.

Ask a Question