Windows 10 Can No longer access files on any other Systems.

Reaction score
I have a home network with 5 W10 systems, 3 W8.1 systems and a W7 system. Until a few days ago, all systems could access files on any other available system. Currently, all systems can “see” all other available systems. However, NONE of the 5 W10 systems can access any files on ANY other system. All of the W8.1 systems CAN access files on every other system, including all of the W10 systems. All W10 and W8.1 systems use the same Microsoft login name and password, although 4 of the W10 systems and 1 W8.1 systems are accessed by the same pin. The W7 system can access files on ALL other systems. All systems have a second (local) account, all with the same user name and password. Some of the systems are hard wired, some are wireless. All systems can access the internet.

All of the systems belong to “Workgroup.”

All of the systems show ipv4 connectivity, all of the systems show “No internet Access” for ipv6.

Under ADVANCED SHARING

All systems have Network Discovery ON, Auto setup of Network devices ON, File & Print sharing ON, Allow windows to manage Home group ON, Two of W10 machines have 128 bit encryption ON, 2 of 3 W8.1 machines have 128 bit encryption ON. Under “Use 40 or 56 bit encryption”, 3 of 5 W10 machines are ON, 1 of 3 W8.1 machines are ON. 4 of 5 W10’s have “Media Streaming YES, 1 of 3 W8.1’s have it set to YES. All devices with “Media Streaming on” are set to allow.

All systems have “Use Sharing Wizard” selected.

I CAN ping one W10 machine from another W10.

All W10 systems are version 10240 RTM

Home group connections appear to mimic the network connections, although I haven’t tested every possible connection as I did with the network interactions.

Using a local login instead of a Microsoft account doesn’t seem to matter.

The only commonality I can think of is a bad Windows update. I’ve spent some time researching the problem, but haven’t found any results that correspond to my problem. Any one know of a fix?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Until a few days ago, all systems could access files on any other available system
IDK.
Normally I would suggest that a third party security suite (especially one that has been upgraded / updated recently) might be at fault.
But something may have corrupted your locally stored credentials.
You may want to edit or just remove your stored credentials on each machine that reference the other Win10 machines and rebuild them
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager

You don't mention the specific error you might be receiving
"Can't find" or "Not available" or words to that effect usually third party security suites.
"Access denied" usually UserName / Password / Credentials issue.

Reaction score
Security is Windows Defender on all W10, Security Essentials on all others.

[The error is: \\MACHINENAME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network address is invalid.
]

With the windows credentials, if I delete them, how do I add them back? On my primary machine, There are nine that all appear to be for functions of serviceuri.... Also a couple for SSO_POP_Device

Reaction score
But something may have corrupted your locally stored credentials.
You may want to edit or just remove your stored credentials on each machine that reference the other Win10 machines and rebuild them

No references are listed for other W10 systems except for a W10 laptop and that was in a W8 system. I deleted and reentered MicrosoftAccount:user=, I also added creds for 2 machines in the form TERMSRV/SYSTEMNAME, with MS username, password, but didn't seem to help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically Windows Credentials will be identified by the NetBIOS Name as in "NetworkNodePC"
The credentials for that take the form of
Username = NetworkNodePC\UserName (where UserName is a User on that NetworkNodePC)
Password = P@$$w0rd (where P@$$w0rd is the password for UserName on NetworkNodePC)

TERMSRV credentials that use a forward slash in there descriptive name are typically for RDP client access and not associated with a normal workgroup type authentication process.

Reaction score
Username = NetworkNodePC\UserName (where UserName is a User on that NetworkNodePC)
Password = P@$$w0rd (where P@$$w0rd is the password for UserName on NetworkNodePC)
None of my W8 or W10 systems (just W7) have Windows credentials specific to a system. I added credentials on two W10 systems in the form:
Internet or network address: SYSTEMNAME
User name: (e-mail address removed)
Password: mymicrosoftpassword

I rebooted both systems, then tried to open folders on each, but again, no success.

Ask a Question