Windows 10 does not request a password on wakeup anymore

Reaction score
Hello!

I've had Windows 10 for a few months, and one feature that I really liked was the fact that after the computer went to sleep, on wakeup it always asked me for my password -in spite of the inconvenience I really liked this security feature which I did not have in Windows 8.1

However, since yesterday, for some unknown reason (I did not change anything), my computer does not ask me for my password on wakeup anymore. I went to Settings -> System - Display, notifications, apps, power -> Power & Sleep, and then to "Additional power settings", and saw that the radio button "password protection on wakeup (recommended)" is already selected. In spite of this, for the past two days, I am never asked for my password on wakeup. Why does this happen and what can I do to restore my computer so that I do get asked for my password on wakeup (as it always did before)?

Thank you for any help!

Rob

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you certain that your computer is actually "sleeping" and not displaying a blank screen saver?
Double check
Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options -> Require sign-in

PasswordSettings.PNG

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help! However, my settings are as follows:
1. PC goes to sleep after 30 minutes
2. Sign in Options:
If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?
"When PC wakes up from sleep" is selected

This evening I was away for about two hours, and when I came back my screen was black, and when I clicked on it the desktop appeared right away. As I mentioned, until two days ago in a situation like this (away from the computer for 2 hours), I would have been required to sign in with my password. Somehow things have changed and I don't know why. I did not do anything to change the settings and in fact, the settings are all correct, but the computer is following what the settings say. I am really puzzled!

Ask a Question