SOLVED Windows 10 does not start

Reaction score
Problems with Asus notebook computer F553M bought May 2015 with Windows 8.1 and upgraded with Windows 10.
The hard disk 500Gb was replaced with a Samsung 500Gb SSD after cloning the hard disk to the SSD.

On Friday 26/2/16 I was helping a friend with an Opal card and tried to print a document from the Internet.

The file went to the print queue and did not go by wireless to the printer. I checked the printer at the printer and it
was working perfectly.

I tried to print several times and it just left the printjobs on the queue.

The following day, the computer took 30 minutes to start! I started a complete virus scan using Vipre Antivirus.

The scan started about 10:00am and was still going at 6:55pm when we were going out. I left it going in our
absense and checked on our return at 12:00 midnight and it had finished having scanned 483,842 files and finding
60 cookies which were quarantined. No other virus problems!

The following day, Sunday 28/2/16, I tried to start the computer at 9:06am and got the Welcome screen. At 9:08am
desktop icons and some taskbar icons appeared, but no background picture and no taskbar background. At 10:02am
there had been no change and I turned the computer off.

I then used another computer. Windows 7, and checked the symptoms on the Internet. Several entries made mention of
using F8 key at start. As I understand it, F8 at start usually activates the BIOS programme.

I tried this and, to my surprise, a Widows Update screen with blue background started! After going through it's
paces, the computer restarted and opened perfectly and then worked perfectly!

I don't know what the problem was and what caused it, and I don't know what fixed the problem!

In the process, at one stage, I tried to go back to a prior restore point. But I discovered that this was not
turned on and there were no restore points! Apparently with Windows 10 the user has to turn on this facility
in order to create restore points. On prior versions restore points are automatically created particularly
when an update is about to occur. Why was this changed with Windows 10?

I also found that the restore screen now has two listings of C drive, one stated as (Missing)! See picture.

During the initial trouble, on one of the bad starts, a message was shown: 'Failed to connect to Group Policy
Client Service'. Just what does this mean?

In the old days of MSDOS, when Windows had not been invented, I knew precicely what was going on. Now
there are so many programmes 'beavering' away in the background, I have no idea what is going on!

Can somebody help with the above problem because I am concerned that it might happen again!

Regards.

Attachments

• SystemProperties_RestoreW10.jpg
    SystemProperties_RestoreW10.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 561

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I also found that the restore screen now has two listings of C drive, one stated as (Missing)! See picture.
Can somebody help with the above problem
Select the (missing) drive.... click the "configure" button, tick the radio button that says "Disable system protection" click OK.
The missing drive should then disappear.
It is just a ghost remnant of the previous enumeration of the old cloned drive.

Reaction score
Select the (missing) drive.... click the "configure" button, tick the radio button that says "Disable system protection" click OK.
The missing drive should then disappear.
It is just a ghost remnant of the previous enumeration of the old cloned drive.

Reaction score
Dear Trouble,
Thank you for the detail about removing the missing drive. I followed your instructions and it is now gone!
'Done and dusted!'
Regards.

Ask a Question