Grey screen and windows does not start.

Reaction score
My laptop is not starting up I can hear the fan and the hardrive noise but all I get is a grey screen. F12 and other commands are not working.

Reaction score
Looks like your laptop can't even process the BIOS commands. Can you remove the hard drive and optical drive to eliminate them as the reason not to start up. Can you access the little button cell battery in your laptop and preferable replace it (just in case). Does it do any other noise like beeps beside the fan and HDD noise??
one other possibility is a faulty RAM.

That is all I can think of right now....

Reaction score
Have been banging my head for 2 weeks now trying to solve the grey screen of death. Jumped through all kinds of ridiculous hoops, ended with totally reloading Windows and STILL HAD the problem. FINALLY found the issue!
I am running a 5 year old Lenovo laptop with windows-pro installed. When I upgraded from 7 to 10, the Win10-1790 was installed. This version has an issue with the Sleep mode, which trips off the dreaded grey screen. If sleep mode is swapped for hibernate it seems to actually work properly! Get there from Windows key, settings , power

Reaction score
No such thing as a Win10-1790 . I guess you mean 1709 which is the latest. But I am curious: I have a 11 year old HP laptop, a 10 year old Toshiba laptop and a 7 year old HP entertainment laptop and I have never ever experienced an issue with the sleep mode at all. So I can only assume that it is not a Windows issue but a Lenovo issue...
@Sora next time open a new thread with your problem please as it has nothing to do with the TO's issue.

Reaction score
Yes...sorry for the typo....1709. My issue was identical to this post. I would open to a fading lined grey screen with absolutely no access to anything. I have been searching forums for 2 weeks now and found quite a few with the same problem....none were Lenovo, all were laptops. Forced shut down was the only way out and didn't always lead to a path back in. I found a post suggesting the 1709 version/sleep was the culprit and it's worked for me.

Ask a Question