Crash grey screen boot into advanced menu

Reaction score
So this is my issue I was playing border lands 2 and watching YouTube on 2nd monitor when I went to switch to Google chrome game minimized like normal then I clicked chrome and screen with YouTube was black main screen was get with dark lines then pc rebooted so I thought then turned into reboot 4 times or so then I got trouble shoot blue screen so I try a recovery and it rebooted same thing.g back to blue screen once again so I did a recovery and keep files did all the things till screen undoing changes then rebooted and all over rebooting to blue screen so I try the repair Windows unable to start option and that failed and again to blue screen so then I tried the next option boot in safe mode that worked just fine so I'm running my advanced system care see if can repair the issue but I feel that I won't find issue I have read in past win update causing people to do full install if anyone possibly know way to uninstall a recent update that maybe corrupt or failed that might be the fix if not any other suggestions are welcome

40mins later i found a thread saying to disable display in device manager rebooted out of safe mode this time so with no prob so I'm guessing u need roll back my video card driver and then enable it?
was a display driver crash ?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Glad you managed to resolve your problem.
Thanks for posting your findings here.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Oh it's not solved the issue persist after trying several drivers ver. come to find out there is no real 100% fix other then maybe 50/50 chance of baking your video card i guess? not sure what exsacly that means but from what i found you have to RMA your video card if u can because drivers are in a way frying the cards in a weird way after installing a new driver it renders then video card unusable but setting to basic driver allows you to use pc but can't really game on it i've try'd everything to reinstalling windows to 5 diffrent drivers to uninstalling it complete with driver uninstall utility also done repair boot tools in cmd prompt to shutting off fast boot and turning off onboard graphics to removing it and using onboard then disabling onboard and then putting card back into machine nothing works so many others have this what they call driver install black screen

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow..... that's interesting.
Can you share with us, which video adapter (both integrated as well as add-in if applicable) you have installed and any other specifics as to the Make and Model Name and number of your computer or motherboard you'd care to share.
It could very well prove helpful to other members and visitors and personally.....
I'd be very interested, if for no other reason than knowing what I might want to avoid.

Reaction score
i'm running a XFX R7 370 4GIG double dissipation OC graphics card and the um driver i set it to for to be able to use it after intinal crash u have go like into device manager update driver then tell it u wanna choose one your self and use microsfot basic display adapter that allow you to boot back in normal mode motherboard i'm using is um fatlity from asus i think i not 100% sure how to find out exsact motherboard if u give me details on how to do so i sure would love to provide that info and running windows 10 pro

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
how to find out exsact motherboard if u give me details on how to do so i sure would love to provide that info
Right click the start button and from the context menu choose "Run"
In the "Run" dialog box type
msinfo32
hit enter or click OK
The system summary page should provide some information

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Oh okay i think i got it this shoudl give you a good bit of info on what i'm running and using didn't post it all but stuff that looked useful

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/31/14 20:36:27 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X4 760K Quad Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16304MB RAM
Page File: 5728MB used, 26960MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode

xDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Display Tab 2: There is a problem with AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 22'
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

Card name: Microsoft Basic Display Driver
Manufacturer: (Standard display types)
Chip type: AMD ATOMBIOS
DAC type: (C) 1988-2010, Advanced Micro D
Device Type: Display-Only Device
Device Key: Enum\ROOT\BASICDISPLAY
Device Status: 4180000B [DN_ROOT_ENUMERATED|DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER|DN_NO_SHOW_IN_DM]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 8152 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 8152 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (64Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: VX238
Monitor Id: ACI23C1
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: Other
Driver Name: Unknown
Driver File Version: Unknown (Unknown)
Driver Version: 10.0.15063.0
DDI Version: 11.2
Feature Levels: 11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Miracast: Not Supported
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
Power P-states: Not Supported
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/20/2006 8:00:00 PM, 0 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: No
WHQL Date Stamp: None
Device Identifier: {D7B71AF4-43CC-11CF-B063-D71AAFC2C735}
Vendor ID: 0x1414
Device ID: 0x008C
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name: basicdisplay.inf:1080904755d1bda1:MSBDD_Fallback:10.0.15063.0:ROOT\BasicDisplay
Rank Of Driver: 00FB0000
Video Accel:
DXVA2 Modes: Unknown

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
DXVA-HD: Not Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
MPO Caps: Not Supported
MPO Stretch: Not Supported
MPO Media Hints: Not Supported
MPO Formats: Not Supported

Card name: AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: Unknown
DAC type: Unknown
Device Type: n/a
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6811&SUBSYS_20151682&REV_81
Device Status: 01802400 [DN_HAS_PROBLEM|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: 00000016 [CM_PROB_DISABLED]
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: Unknown
Dedicated Memory: n/a
Shared Memory: n/a
Current Mode: Unknown
Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0315159.inf_amd64_b01c1e8cccf04a67\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0315159.inf_amd64_b01c1e8cccf04a67\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0315159.inf_amd64_b01c1e8cccf04a67\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0315159.inf_amd64_b01c1e8cccf04a67\amdxc64.dll
Driver File Version: 22.19.0171.0257 (English)
Driver Version: 22.19.171.257
DDI Version: unknown
Feature Levels: Unknown
Driver Model: Unknown
Graphics Preemption: Unknown
Compute Preemption: Unknown
Miracast: Unknown
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Unknown
Power P-states: Unknown
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/11/2017 8:00:00 PM, 1678912 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
Device Identifier: Unknown
Vendor ID: Unknown
Device ID: Unknown
SubSys ID: Unknown
Revision ID: Unknown
Driver Strong Name: oem12.inf:cb0ae414b03cf286:ati2mtag_R575DS:22.19.171.257:pci\ven_1002&dev_6811&subsys_20151682&rev_81
Rank Of Driver: 00D10000
Video Accel: Unknown
DXVA2 Modes: Unknown
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
D3D9 Overlay: Unknown
DXVA-HD: Unknown
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Not Available
AGP Status: Enabled
MPO Caps: Unknown
MPO Stretch: Unknown
MPO Media Hints: Unknown
MPO Formats: Unknown

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nothing reported as to the system or its' motherboard
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
The BIOS
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/31/14 20:36:27 Ver: 04.06.05
MIght be worth looking into and seeing if the system or motherboard manufacturer might have a firmware update that might address your issue.
You will need to determine exact and specific information on your system as you wouldn't want to flash a firmware update that wasn't intended for your system.
Do you have any system documentation or a motherboard manual?

Reaction score
okay i found something really weird driver Ver. 22.19.171.257

that's not even a ver. number u can download.. did windows update force update my video card and not let me revert back? or override it?

oh my bios is updated to latest ver.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
did windows update force update my video card and not let me revert back?
It's possible, so you might want to check Windows Update -> Update History -> near the bottom "Driver Updates.
In looking here (must use Internet Explorer or possibly Edge) http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=amd+radeon+r7+370
I see 22.19.162.4 available for that card through the Windows Update Catalog dated 4/24/2017
Which might be something worth trying, making sure that you download the correct bit version (64 bit) according to your post above.
Use the one with the "TM" designation since that seems to match more closely your hardware ID.
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series
Worth a shot, although Windows Update might update it again after a while.

Reaction score
First thing is to go back in to the device manager and re enable the graphics card. Go to AMD's website, and download the latest driver for your card. Download DDU (display driver uninstaller) http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html . Unzip it and extract DDU v17.0.6.8.exe in to that folder. Now reboot in to safe mode. Go back to that folder and run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe. Click the "clean and restart" option. Let it run, and it will restart the PC. After it restarts, install the graphics driver you downloaded.

Hopefully that will take care of your issue. If not, then there may be a physical issue with the card.

Reaction score
okay so i've done all that used the DDU disabled and reinstalled couple times still nothing and used basic display driver to boot back normal windows and attempted to do that way nothing still same issue so i finaly took scary step of a fresh install so as i did so everything was okay for about a hour and then i installed driver booster after it rebooted and i had to disable display adapter once again boot back in normal windows then ran driver booster and said R7 370 was faulty in red *sad face* so i posted all my findings to XFXforce.com support team we'll see where we go from there sence my card isn't under warrenty anymore i doubt i'll get a new one but maybe they are good company and will help me out

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
then i installed driver booster after it rebooted and i had to disable display adapter
then ran driver booster and said R7 370 was faulty in red *sad face*
While I don't have any personal experience with that program, I have often found that purported driver assistance programs are very seldom the best source for drivers and rarely produce optimal results.
I'm not sure why if
i finaly took scary step of a fresh install so as i did so everything was okay
You would have used "driver booster" at all, especially for anything as critical as a video driver, when in most instances the manufacturer or alternatively the microsoft update catalog is going to usually be the better choice for the proper driver.

Reaction score
in most cases i would agree with using 3rd party driver programs are not very wise but iobit programs are top of the line stuff never fails to install latest and newest drivers i mean sure i could go to the website download driver but driver booster always gets me same file i need anyway hasn't faile me in the 6 years i've used it hence why i pay for pro version

so i reverted back to a old card i had the pny gtx 650 2gig it'll work for now and driver booster got drivers right away updated it runs like a charm till so yea it surely was the xfx r7 370 card that is at fault/drivers because some reason it has this thing about driver signing or something that wanted me to by pass to install the driver that was before i reinstalled so i don't know what that was about but i read was something to do with amd pushing driver ver. for hotfix before getting them digitaly signed or something

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you found a remedy if not an actual solution.
I'm a bit uncomfortable talking about AMD video cards as I abandoned them a few years back because of some Windows 7 issues with CCC (Catalyst Control Center) which grew to be a pretty big resource hog and now they have Crimson or something such that doesn't appear to be a whole lot better.
I switched over to nVidia cards and never looked back, although they seem to be following in the same footsteps with their nVidia Experience *BS*. When it comes to hardware I prefer, just the drivers, and don't particularly want a whole suite of software.

Reaction score
I'm glad you at least found an answer, even though it's not the ideal one. I've had good luck with AMD cards over the years. The only one I ever had fail (knock on wood) was an old Nvidia tnt2 card. I did have the fans fail on my present AMD card (which was also out of warranty), Not AMD's fault, since it was Sapphire's own cooling solution. I ended up buying new fans on ebay and replacing them myself. I've never dealt wit XFX. Hopefully they can help you out. Sapphire was no help to me.

Reaction score
yea i hope XFX can help even thou it's not under the 2 year thing i don't see on there info about it that r7 300 series is covered by limited or life time .. and on product site the model number i have isn't even on there products it's weird i wonder if the card i have was discontinued due to not holding up to staying cool at 60c on high load mine always was 70c while gaming never really whent over that was/is a great card even thou double dissipation said on box wasn't 100% keeping it cool but i didn't mind seeing how that ever where i looked said u could have it up to 90c before it was in danger zone of heat hopefully with there reply saying they are looking into warranty and see if i can RMA for a fix but i doubt it i got the card back in 2015 but i took really good care of it once a week or so dusted it out
crossing my fingures even if i have to pay for shiping cost and all that i'm more then glad to

and about me switching from nvidia cards to amd i use to only perfer nividia because they supported the phisx thing right but i was more into useing dual or 3 way monitors and amd cards really shines in that aspect and physx isn't like needed thing so i didn't mind switching

Reaction score
70c is perfectly acceptable for the r7 300 series. Reference cards run hotter than that. My hd7950 (overclocked) can hit 74c playing Battlefield 1. I wouldn't be concerned unless it reached 80c for a long period of time

As far as a warranty, each board partner is different. I'm not too familiar with XFX. My Sapphire card was 3 years. Of course the fans failed 2 months later. It was most likely discontinued because the RX series came out about a year ago and replace the 300 series.

I hope you have luck getting a resolution from them.

Reaction score
thanks bigfeet i hope everything works out in the end yea i think only pushed like 80c once that was when it was like 110F in my room sence was so hot outside and i'm up stairs but that was couple months ago yea i read that the nividia 1080 or whatever is called can reach 90c and still be stable but in my mind 90c is like 200F that's insane lol but yeah that's prob what happend it was just out dated being that it was kinda a budget card maybe? now there are better in that price range few years later so prob just stop manufacturing it

Ask a Question