Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize Brother MFC-J475DW Wireless Printer

Reaction score
I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10. My previous laptop had Windows 7 and worked very well with my Brother MFC-J475DW Wireless Printer. I tried installing the driver for the printer from the original disk that came with the printer on the W10 laptop several times and kept getting a message that there is no printer. I went to the Brother website and downloaded the latest version of the driver and still get the same message. After some research I tried for the "built in" drivers, but with no success. Any help, suggestions or solutions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ruth W.

Reaction score
Your laptop is connecting to the Internet ok?

Can you determine the IP address of the printer either from your router or from a display on the printer?
If so can you ping the printer from your new laptop?
Some wifi printers have an inbuilt web server once you know the IP address can you go to http://printer ip address
and does it answer? also try https.
Both of the above tests are not dependent on whether the printer has drivers or not.

If they work then I'd totally remove the printer software from the pc, Anything you can find that looks like a Brother printing file. Then reboot and then do Add New Device and see what windows can find.

FWIW I have never owned a Brother printer but I had to fiddle getting HP wifi printers alive on W7 and W10.

Reaction score
Your laptop is connecting to the Internet ok?

Can you determine the IP address of the printer either from your router or from a display on the printer?
If so can you ping the printer from your new laptop?
Some wifi printers have an inbuilt web server once you know the IP address can you go to http://printer ip address
and does it answer? also try https.
Both of the above tests are not dependent on whether the printer has drivers or not.

If they work then I'd totally remove the printer software from the pc, Anything you can find that looks like a Brother printing file. Then reboot and then do Add New Device and see what windows can find.

FWIW I have never owned a Brother printer but I had to fiddle getting HP wifi printers alive on W7 and W10.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, which I tried, but it didn't work. I am far from being a computer guru, but from all that I've tried I'm thinking that Windows is trying to go through the network to see the printer, and I don't have the printer in the network. I'm going to go to the instructions for my router and find how to add the printer. It just seems like there should be a way to add the printer without having to go through the network. There probably is, but I'm not having any luck getting it done. Like I said, I'm not computer guru.

Reaction score
make sure the Brother is turned on and set to Wireless. then open Devices and Printers - search and add the Printer. I have no ISSUE with my MFC on any of my Windows 10 systems. all read the Wireless with no issue

Reaction score
I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10. My previous laptop had Windows 7 and worked very well with my Brother MFC-J475DW Wireless Printer. I tried installing the driver for the printer from the original disk that came with the printer on the W10 laptop several times and kept getting a message that there is no printer. I went to the Brother website and downloaded the latest version of the driver and still get the same message. After some research I tried for the "built in" drivers, but with no success. Any help, suggestions or solutions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ruth W.

Reaction score
So finally how did you solve the problem? The first thought came into my brain is that might be a bug of Win10.

Reaction score
Every Printer, has a method to install Wireless, most you have to have a Cable - install software, then chose Wireless. on the last I installed. make sure the Wireless is turned on the Printer, then chose add device and search for printer, if not found that manual add the name as shown by Printer \\

Reaction score
Ruth, the op, stopped posting after 4 posts, back in early February, so I guess she got something sorted.

Ask a Question