Windows 10 doesn't recognize WD My Passport External Drive

Reaction score
Hello,
After receiving the W10 download, I installed a WD My Passport backup external drive. I made a system image backup and system repair disc of W7, and I backed up other files, and uninstalled & reinstalled BitDefender Total Security 2015. At first it seemed to run well or adequately, although slowly, notwithstanding that I had cleaned everything.
Then I discovered a message/warning from W10 that I should check the settings & do a backup, enable File History, that no usable drive was found, and to use an external drive for File History, and to connect a drive or use a network connection.

I googled all these issues to find answers/solutions: I checked in Device Manager, Computer Management, System Configuration. I was able to see that WD My Passport was displayed as running properly, with "healthy" status, with 866 GB of free space, and I could see it listed as in drive (l:).
I think that I do not know "how to connect a drive or use a network connection." I clicked on "add network location, it opened to select a folder, I selected several, but none were acceptable, so I had to leave it the way it was, Network Location (1) My Media: Lizzie-PC.
Could someone please help me with his because I have exhausted all my searches and possible solutions. Thank you,
Opalescence

Reaction score
I have the same question, though I have a 4tb Seagate drive. I can still run a Windows 7 backup to the external drive as previously and access the drive's contents. However the drive won't show when I attempt to "Add a drive" on the Windows 10 backup setting.
I too have Googled like crazy for an answer but found nothing.

Reaction score
I attached a camera to the pc and it looked fine in the device manager but I was unable to access the photos. I disabled it and restarted the pc and then enabled the camera in the DM and the problem was solved.

Reaction score
Did anyone ever get an answer to this issue and Windows 10? I have a WD USB external hard drive as well. I used Windows 7 backup on it with no problem. It currently shows up in the list of devices and everything is good. I can access the files through file explorer. But when I try to use Windows 10 backup, it doesn't see the hard drive. What's up with that?

Reaction score
Another one with the same problem! I used to back up Windows 7 to an external Toshiba drive. Now I get messages that the backup failed, it could not find my File History drive, yet the drive is still there, and I can send separate files to it by saving the file to the external drive. With Windows 7 I could back up complete Libraries (using right click and "send to"), but with Windows 10 that option is not there. It even asks me to select an alternative drive, then shows my Toshiba as an option, but then says again it is not there! I am worried about not being able to make backups other than for individual files. PLEASE can anybody help?

Device Manager shows no problem with the external drive. . .

Reaction score
I have the same issue as well. I have backed up my dying laptop in WD My Passport. My old computer was in W7 and my new one in W10. When I took the new one back to the store it worked, showing the unlocker on the desktop. But when I brought it back home, it wouldn't. So I ended up taking it back to the store again. The tech said that the issue will get resolved because the folks at MS are working on it. They never expected this to be a problem or something. He told me to keep updating the Windows. So for now, we are out of luck but eventually should be able to open the external drives.

Reaction score
I hope they do, quickly. At the moment I'm saving my current important files directly to the exterior hard drive, but that is a pain and there is a lot of old stuff that is no longer backed up.

Reaction score
Hello, I had the same problem. Had created different backup sets with windows 7 in windows 10 but when booting with the windows7 repair disc, no backup set was found.
So I used Microsofts "MediaCreationTool" and created a bootable Windows10 installation usb drive. After booting and using the "restore System image" funktion in the repair section my backup sets were seen and I could do the restore.

Reaction score
If you had read the MS "gottcha" Windows 7 backups are not recognized by Windows 10. an;y and all RESTORE points are also DELETED. not found.
the only method to do a Windows 7 restore is use a 3d party restore. that recognizes Windows 7 backup.
or simply stick you old Windows 7 disk in - do a new clean install of Windows 7.

Ask a Question