Windows 10 drivers

Reaction score
Which version are you running?? in the Pro Version you can prevent that through the group policy editor. here is how to:

Open gpedit.msc in the run command or in cortana, whatever is your pleasure.
Navigate to [Computer Configuration] -> [Administrative Templates] -> [Windows Components].
scroll down to [Windows Update] then open the Setting (in the picture) and set it to ENABLED.

You never will get updated drivers again through Windows Update. I use this setting for years now and WU never bothered me with driver updates.
However, if you need some updates, you got to search for them by yourself.

GPEDIT.jpg

This works also in the Home Edition if the Group policy editor is enabled. How??
see here:

Reaction score
If you're using the pro, Grizzly's method is a must. I've had to do that since day one, since Windows 10 liked replacing my beta graphics drivers with the WHQL drivers. Great for most, not good for gamer's who need beta drivers to run the latest games.

I've had varying success with the group policy editor in the home edition. It unblocks and loads. But sometimes changing settings in it doesn't do anything.

Reaction score
Never had a need to do it (so far). But, I suspect that in many of the "cumulative " updates the group policies are totally replaced, so it is really necessary to keep an eye on it.

Reaction score
hi Bass

Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 10
  1. Right-click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  2. Make your way to System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  5. Select the Hardware tab.
  6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.

Reaction score
In my default setup'
1. There is no control panel in the right click
2. There is no "System and security" in the Control panel.(Opened through settings.)
3. The hardware tab indicated, does NOT offer to stop driver uploads.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pretty sure he's talking about this

Capture1.PNG

Which used to be my go to method of preventing unwanted Driver installs, but....
I pretty sure it doesn't work any longer as it used to.
I think even the wording in the options has changed.

Anyway... ONE way to get to it is by simply typing "advanced system settings" after clicking the start button. It should pop to the top of the list.

Reaction score
Yes. I was well aware of which feature he was talking about, I just felt, first post, for the sake of those seeking help, it has to be correct. Not 100% certain, but I think the wording has always been the same - no mention of drivers?
But, if you have used it succesfully in the past, so be it.
Just done some research. You are absolutely correct. It was, until vista, a sub panel of the main psnel:

1594923621814.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
And this:

1594923621814.jpg

can now be done via group policy editor as described above in #3 as it is like in the picture no longer there as davehc pointed out..

Ask a Question