Windows 10 flashing desktop that will not stop.

Reaction score
I had downloaded Windows 10 uneventfully but woke up with the computer on but black and frozen. With nothing working, I removed the battery and it shut off.
I replaced the battery and restarted it. It seemed to go well until it got to the desktop. There it began to flash and nothing would stop it. control-alt-del sent me to e different screen. When I navigated back to the desktop the flashing resumed. This is where I am now and the computer is useless.
Obviously, I am not a knowledgeable operator, so I need some help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Not exactly sure but it might have something to do with your Video card settings.
Certain GPUs (nVidia comes to mind) have a 3D setting (or two) that need to be unchecked or turned off or otherwise disabled.

Also if you have any Bluetooth dongles attached you may want to remove them as well, As a test maybe remove any attached peripherals.

There is also some issues with laptops regarding touchpad drivers, you may want to look into that as well.

See if you can boot into Safe Mode.
Hold the Shift key while clicking restart and then follow the bouncing ball through Trouble Shoot options, Start option, till you find plain old safe mode.
That will hopefully stop any third party drivers from loading and give you an opportunity to investigate further.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue, I did a search and found an older post and responded to it. In this situation, there is no "Restart" button. Only way to get out of it is turn the computer off. Any other way to boot to safe mode -- like from cold boot?

-Doug

Reaction score
U[date, the thing finally responded to Ctrl-Alt-Del. Got to safe mode, the only recoivrey option was to reinstall Windows -- in this case, I'm sure it is Windows 10. Trying that, since I saw no other options.

-Doug

Reaction score
The other message about a flashing desktop said it was to do with Norton Security.

Ask a Question