Windows 10 For Free

Reaction score
How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10
"Summary
Microsoft will release Windows 10 its next generation operating system PC's, Tablets and Mobile devices this July 29th 2015. Windows 10 will be free for the first year to all Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1 users. In this article, we take a look at how Windows 10 will be distributed and how you can reserve your copy today."

The expiration date is July 29th 2016.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. I've upgraded but my wife's laptop needs to be upgraded. She's hesitant to upgrade because of the problems I've had. No problems now, just some minor bugs that needed to be fixed.
Merry Christmas to all.

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my wife's now since I have the time, took 2 weeks off work around the holidays. Once I have my morning coffee I could start the upgrade and in between get the housework done. I might just do it while she's at work and not tell her.

Reaction score
Ummm. Telling your spouse first would yield more points.

Last edited:
Reaction score
....or not telling her and getting the bugs worked out (if it doesn't go smoothly) before she gets home, she'll love me forever.

Bif

Reaction score
Nothing says love like a free OS upgrade!..
and a diamond
Not necessarily in that order..

Reaction score
This is how I resolved the wife problem. Mine is totally computer illiterate.

First, the standard precaution. I made an image. Then I installed in a dual boot, the same OS. (Windows 7) using the OEM details. I used this second installation as the base for the upgrade. It came fairly quickly, and over a couple of days, I completed it, including the updates. This was all done on the hush hush, when she was away.
I copied all her user files over to the Windows 10 OS, including her Email program and the latest Email.
Up to this point, the dual boot, without any pause time still booted into her Windows 7.
I then put in the time of about 5 secs, and, at an appropriate moment, launched her into Windows 10. She noticed "something different", but basically uses her computer to write letters (Office, which I had installed and set up) and her Email. No further comment. Lot of work, but needed in my case.

fwiw, Bif. I am not splitting hairs over this, I am reasonably satisfied with the status quo, but I do not regard the upgrade as free. Another argument, perhaps, but I continue to see this as an upgrade from the so-called infamous 8.1 to 8.2. As I paid for Windows 8, through the nose, I cannot (imo) see the"free" part.

Reaction score
fwiw, Bif. I am not splitting hairs over this, I am reasonably satisfied with the status quo, but I do not regard the upgrade as free. Another argument, perhaps, but I continue to see this as an upgrade from the so-called infamous 8.1 to 8.2. As I paid for Windows 8, through the nose, I cannot (imo) see the"free" part.
Same here, except "free" is an adjective to "upgrade". While the licensing is tied to a paid version, the upgrade is free.

After paying for Windows 7 I felt betrayed, when MS publicized there would not be a SP2 so quickly after Windows 7 launch. The free upgrade was the only way to get me to move forward after such betrayal. Especially with the negativity I had for Windows 8 GUI. And I think MS could foresee this through many of their consumers.

Ask a Question