Windows 10 Keep Freezing

Reaction score
I am wondering why my Windows 10 computer is freezing up all the time? It happens at least once every day and I have to do a force restart. I am not the only one having this same problem I have a friend who also has exactly the same issue. Can anyone help me out on this one thanks?

Reaction score
Try this:
Right click the start icon and select the Command prompt (Admin)
At the prompt, type
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

(you can copy and paste it)
It will take a few minutes and clean up any problems as it goes.

Reaction score
Hi my system information is as follows:- Windows 10 Version 1709, Os Build 16299.248. System is an AMD A10-5700, 8 gb Ram 64 bit system.

Not sure how old the system is but have had it for quite a while and NO haven't installed any exotic software or hardware at all.

I did say that the same thing is happening to a friend as well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to try some TLC.
Perhaps download Ccleaner portable version from here https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
Run that and see if it helps at all.
Follow that up by manually running the native Defrag utility a couple times manually, with a shut down and restart between.
A scan with a reputable anti virus / anti malware product might also be worth your time.

Not sure how old the system is but have had it for quite a while
I do a fair amount of contract work for a friend who owns a couple computer repair businesses and I've noticed that there has been an unusual number of them with hard disk issues, usually older machines still running the OEM drive that was installed by the manufacturer. A lot of these have been old 5400 rpm spinners in laptops, of a brand / manufacturer that in my opinion were less than optimal from the start, probably used as a means of cost reduction.

I can tell you that Windows 10 is relentless when it comes to the demands it puts on a physical disk and can expose problems that you might not normally assume were present.

Reaction score
Ok I know I have posted about this subject before but haven't had any decent answers.

Basically my Windows 10 is freezing up randomly and it is really starting to drive me nuts and by the looks of it I am not the only one with the problem here perhaps Microsoft themselves should be looking into this issue that we all seem to be having

I know this can't possibly be a hardware issue because it is not just me that is having the problem I have a cousin here that is also getting similar problems almost daily too.

I can be using the computer then bang it freezes up on me thus forcing me to do a forced shut down and then restarting it. Had this happen about half an hour ago. It came up with a completely new installation of windows and thus means everything is gone no photos no documents no nothing.

Discovered that I can do yet another restart and all my original stuff will come back up again. Computer updates at least once a month and had one just the other day.

My cousin is having the same issue apart from the new installation part. Have done virus scans and cleaned up computer etc and nothing has changed.

Does anyone out there have any idea what is going on here and how to solve it?

Reaction score
I couldn't for the life of me work out how to set up a new post so put it here.

Reaction score
Hi Browyn,

what AV are you using?.

Do you have all your files backed up and if so, have you considered completely wiping your HDD and start with a fresh install?, with so many problems, that is what I would do!.

Do you have a recovery partition on your PC?, do you have A USB stick or DVD to do a new install?. :)

Reaction score
Hi Browyn,

what AV are you using?.

Do you have all your files backed up and if so, have you considered completely wiping your HDD and start with a fresh install?, with so many problems, that is what I would do!.

Do you have a recovery partition on your PC?, do you have A USB stick or DVD to do a new install?. :)

I haven't done the backup yet but do plan to do it very soon as it did frightened me when the new instance of windows came up and everything was missing.

Haven't thought about doing a full clean install. I do have a recovery drive but that would put computer back to Windows 8 then would have to update to 10 again from there. Just thinking well Windows 8 was better so perhaps staying there is not such a bad idea really.

Av I am assuming antivirus program lol using Trend Micro Maximum Security. Paid version

Reaction score
You won't need to install W8 first if W10 was already activated, you can still keep your files intact if you follow this guide:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/re-install-w10-and-keep-your-files-app-data-intact.15825/

The other option is to completely wipe your drive erasing all partitions if you want to. Be careful with this option as you may have a recovery partition for W8 that you may need in the future!.

BACKUP ALL YOUR FILES BEFORE STARTING IN CASE THINGS GO WRONG!.
:)

As far as AV apps go, I use the on-board Windows Defender myself and don't have any problems with it as it is integrated into the system and doesn't intrude at all!. That is up to you if you have already paid for an AV solution. ;)

Reaction score
You won't need to install W8 first if W10 was already activated, you can still keep your files intact if you follow this guide:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/re-install-w10-and-keep-your-files-app-data-intact.15825/

The other option is to completely wipe your drive erasing all partitions if you want to. Be careful with this option as you may have a recovery partition for W8 that you may need in the future!.

BACKUP ALL YOUR FILES BEFORE STARTING IN CASE THINGS GO WRONG!.
:)

As far as AV apps go, I use the on-board Windows Defender myself and don't have any problems with it as it is integrated into the system and doesn't intrude at all!. That is up to you if you have already paid for an AV solution. ;)

Thanks for that and yeah might be an option to do that unfortunately was trying to avoid that as it's time consuming but also funny that it is not just happening to me but to others too. My cousin says her's tend to not start properly and freezes up etc.

So strange I have a laptop that also has windows 10 on it and was an upgrade but don't use it very much so may have to use it more often and see if it does the same thing or not out of interest.

Ask a Question