Windows 10 Freezes / Restarts

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have already got a Thread out there on here. However, that discusses a different issue. I'd like to report this one separately as I hope this one gets more attention due to it possibly being easier to Solve. Okay, as of the latest Windows 10, not the Tuesday Update. I mean the November Update! ~ I've ran into several problems:
(First Boot-up) I Open FireFox & Go to 'Post Reply' on a Forums, the PC (Screen) goes black, Auto-Restarts my PC.
(Second Boot-up) I Open a Video Game with FireFox open too, and the moment FireFox loads up YouTube (Screen Freezes)
Like the whole thing freezes! Cursor is froze in position, and nothing can be done to get it to respond again.
So, I have to manually restart the PC, and the third-boot-up (No problems at all) Well, yet... It could still happen.

So, does anyone have any idea what could be the culprit behind these two issues alone?
I'm kinda sick of finding these Bugs that alot of other people who are using Windows 10 are not getting.
I found someone who has had Windows 10 for 3 Months! And he has had no issues whatsoever.
So, am I missing something here? Am I just not seeing what Windows 10 really is?
To me, Windows 10 feels like its riddled with bugs that are very irritating. Ones that stop you from doing what you want to do.
Windows 7 however, I never have any issues with that. Obviously, I know it's early for Windows 10, but how is it possible that I know someone and others who haven't got these problems on their PC running Windows 10'

So here I am... suffering with Windows 10 & my PC not working the way it should.

Please Help Me!

- LukeJR

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and in the Run dialog box type
msconfig
hit enter or click OK
select the "Boot" tab
Check the box that says "Safe boot"
Tick the radio button that says "network"
click OK
reboot your system
Now..... I know, with minimal drivers loading it's going to look ugly, but test and see if you can reliably launch a browser (firefox if you wish), see if you can reliably shut down, restart, whatever to see if the computer works as it should. Without all the black screen, restarts, random problems.

Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and in the Run dialog box type
msconfig
hit enter or click OK
select the "Boot" tab
Check the box that says "Safe boot"
Tick the radio button that says "network"
click OK
reboot your system
Now..... I know, with minimal drivers loading it's going to look ugly, but test and see if you can reliably launch a browser (firefox if you wish), see if you can reliably shut down, restart, whatever to see if the computer works as it should. Without all the black screen, restarts, random problems.
Okay, thanks. But what should I do after that? I understand that I should do this to see if it happens again. But what should I do after the checks? I really need to know.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well if none of your previous symptoms are present in Safe Mode with networking. Then you can reasonably assume that there is likely some driver or process running in normal boot that is causing your issues.

Go back to msconfig and uncheck the box under the boot tab to reverse your previous setting and return your computer to Normal boot.
Then
Please Clean Boot your system
Use the steps described here for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Test again to see if your problems are present in a Clean Boot environment.

Reaction score
Well if none of your previous symptoms are present in Safe Mode with networking. Then you can reasonably assume that there is likely some driver or process running in normal boot that is causing your issues.

Go back to msconfig and uncheck the box under the boot tab to reverse your previous setting and return your computer to Normal boot.
Then
Please Clean Boot your system
Use the steps described here for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Test again to see if your problems are present in a Clean Boot environment.
Thanks. Okay, I'll try that.

[Edit] Um, I'm not sure what Driver is causing the crashes / problems :c

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The purpose of these diagnostic efforts, both safe mode and Clean Boot are to attempt to zero in on the offending process.
There should be an explanation on the link I provided to reverse out of Clean Boot.
Typically, you start with the non-Microsoft services that you have disabled, turn them back on one at a time or in very small groups of two or three and then you test by rebooting your system after each change to see if you can make it manifest the previous problem symptoms again and then you graduate to the start up items that you have disabled. Again one at a time or in very small groups until something or some group of somethings result in your problem returning.
Then you've found the offending service, program or process.

Reaction score
The purpose of these diagnostic efforts, both safe mode and Clean Boot are to attempt to zero in on the offending process.
There should be an explanation on the link I provided to reverse out of Clean Boot.
Typically, you start with the non-Microsoft services that you have disabled, turn them back on one at a time or in very small groups of two or three and then you test by rebooting your system after each change to see if you can make it manifest the previous problem symptoms again and then you graduate to the start up items that you have disabled. Again one at a time or in very small groups until something or some group of somethings result in your problem returning.
Then you've found the offending service, program or process.
Thanks. I've tried Clean-Boot & I can't seem to replicate the problem at this time.
It seems to be working which is odd. How is it possible that disabling things & Enabling has possibly, maybe, fixed my problem?

Reaction score
IDK.....
Did you reboot after your last change?
Did you finish all non-Microsoft services as well as all start up items?
Yeah. I didn't do Microsoft Services. I just did non-Microsoft Services 1 by 1
& I also did start up items too 2 by 2 (And I did reboot yeah)
No problems whatsoever... I really want to know why its now working :L

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose that it's possible that at some point during all the reboots that perhaps an update that was needed managed to sneak in.
Other than that, I haven't a clue.

Reaction score
I suppose that it's possible that at some point during all the reboots that perhaps an update that was needed managed to sneak in.
Other than that, I haven't a clue.
Nevermind, looks like after Shutdown (Over Night) I come back in the morning to find that it's happening again.
Take note: I have Enabled all the Services / Start-up Programs again... So, I have no idea what it could be.
Do you think you can help me with this problem? I really just want to fix it, and I know that the best thing to do is Clean-Boot again and go through the Programs / Services trying to replicate the Error / BsoD but I don't think I can replicate it. It just happened when I tried to open FireFox on Desktop. So, I have no idea what is causing these problems. Here is the BsoD Error:

DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

That caused it to BsoD, oh, and then I tried booting up the PC again (Failed to Boot-up) Sometimes it just leaves me PC turned on with my Screen not displaying anything or flickering between 2 channels. Whatever, two modes. And then after several restarts (Manually) The PC boots up again actually doing something.
So, why is my PC lingering behind when I hit the 'Power' Button - I expect it to load up not just look like its turned on.
And not actually do anything until several hours later or whenever the fk it wants to decide to boot-up.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
By default, hitting the power button puts you computer to sleep.
IDK why, it just is and is configurable under the advanced power options in the control panel

powerbuton.JPG

Reaction score
By default, hitting the power button puts you computer to sleep.
IDK why, it just is and is configurable under the advanced power options in the control panel

View attachment 1791
Thanks, so you think that is why my PC lingers? Windows 10 causing the problem yet again... Ugh,
Oh, and what do I change it to then? 'ShutDown' is what it is on at the moment. By default its on Shutdown.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
yep... should be shut down.
Check control panel, power, in the left column "choose what the power buttons do" confirm that, that is set properly as well.

Reaction score
yep... should be shut down.
Check control panel, power, in the left column "choose what the power buttons do" confirm that, that is set properly as well.
Thanks! All set to 'Shutdown' but the problem now is... How do I fix the BsoD problem that occurred earlier today?
Better yet, how do I fix these problems that are occurring. I know this one dude & he has had no problems from Windows 10 for 3 whole months including today! D:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have installed Windows 10 multiple times on multiple machines and have had absolutely no problems what so ever, however.....
That is much help to you and neither is a whole host of other people's experience unless they specifically address the exact problem that you are having.
If the problem, does not happen when you put your system into a Clean Boot, then......
Only you can further diagnose the problem, because it is obviously unique to your computer / hardware / software.
It does you no good for me to guess at things, when you have the means to resolve it at your finger tips, it just takes some work.
There is not a magic bullet, I'm sorry to say.

Reaction score
I have installed Windows 10 multiple times on multiple machines and have had absolutely no problems what so ever, however.....
That is much help to you and neither is a whole host of other people's experience unless they specifically address the exact problem that you are having.
If the problem, does not happen when you put your system into a Clean Boot, then......
Only you can further diagnose the problem, because it is obviously unique to your computer / hardware / software.
It does you no good for me to guess at things, when you have the means to resolve it at your finger tips, it just takes some work.
There is not a magic bullet, I'm sorry to say.
No, it's fine. I appreciate the honesty from you, I'm very thankful for you even taking time to write supportive replies with great information at the same time. I'm more than thankful for what you've helped me with so far. Clean-Boot might be my only option, I'm going to have to figure out what is causing it.
But I know that Clean-Boot has nothing to do with my lingering Power problem. Where I switch it on the next morning by the Switch at the back- then pressing the Power Button = Turned on! Lit up, it works! But the Screen doesn't display anything at all. It is trying to find a signal / trying to find something but the PC itself isn't actually helping as it does not load up at all. It just lingers with the light on acting like it is doing something. When really is not, this also means me having to (A) Power Off Manually - but then I turn it on again and the same problem. Eventually, I get somewhere where the PC works again along with the screen working (as it was working already) Its the PC, a problem with the PC. But here's another thing: I didn't have this problem with Windows 7. :S

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
But I know that Clean-Boot has nothing to do with my lingering Power problem. Where I switch it on the next morning by the Switch at the back- then pressing the Power Button
Tonight, when you turn it off (switch in the back) which I presume to mean the rocker switch on the PSU, take one extra step and disconnect it from AC Power completely, unplug it from the wall, turn off the power strip (include the montor also), whatever it takes, then.....
Tomorrow, when you turn it on after reversing the above, let me know if it starts OK and the screen comes up as expected.

Reaction score
Tonight, when you turn it off (switch in the back) which I presume to mean the rocker switch on the PSU, take one extra step and disconnect it from AC Power completely, unplug it from the wall, turn off the power strip (include the montor also), whatever it takes, then.....
Tomorrow, when you turn it on after reversing the above, let me know if it starts OK and the screen comes up as expected.
Will do, thanks. And if the problem continues do you think you might have an idea on how to repair this?
It is something to do with Windows 10, I'm sure of it as Windows 7 did not cause my PC or Monitor to do this.

Reaction score
Quick Update:
I now have a .DMP file that has shown me the problem for what is causing my Crash / BsoD
- I've finally got the Dump File. So, could you please check this out & let me know?
4k6gf9h.png

Here is the 'Crashed' Driver. I really must know how to fix this (Surely, you have an idea on how to solve this problem. I don't know what I can do to fix this, I have no idea what the ntoskml.exe file is...
Not sure if this helps, but I have recently tried Display Driver Uninstaller & AMD Drivers are all refreshed, I've re downloaded Latest Drivers, and hoping it fixes the BSOD problem I found.

If not, then I'll let you know right away!~ I'd still appreciate someone looking into the .DMP file to figure out the problem. But this could be the start of it working without BSODS again, who knows.

Last edited:

Ask a Question