SOLVED Windows 10 Freezes

Reaction score
I seem to be incurring an increasing number of occurences of my system Freezing.
Nothing appears to be effective
Does NOT respond to CNRL alt Delete
Only solution to power ON/OFF hard reboot.

I have been using Windows 10 for 6 months plus
I have recently replaced the hard disk with a 240gb SSD about 3 weeks ago - (great improvement)
I have recently incurred "NTLDR is missing" and would NOT Boot
Overcame this problem using a bootable CD/DVD (created using AOMEI - when I upgraded to SSD)

Not sure what to do to prevent this problem occurring.

Any suggestions appreciated

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I seem to be incurring an increasing number of occurences of my system Freezing.
Nothing appears to be effective
Does NOT respond to CNRL alt Delete
Only solution to power ON/OFF hard reboot.
To possibly address this part of your problem, I would suggest you....
Try clean booting the system and see if that produces any relief. Run it like that for a day or two and check Windows Update manually in the interim to make sure everything is up to date.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done and easily undone.
You're basically just disabling all Startup Items and all non-Microsoft services. Do no mess with the Microsoft services. Be sure to check the box to hide them before proceeding.
I have recently replaced the hard disk with a 240gb SSD about 3 weeks ago - (great improvement)
I have recently incurred "NTLDR is missing" and would NOT Boot
ntldr is not a file used anymore to boot a Windows Operating System. Not since Windows XP.
Do you have a second drive in the system with an active partition and XP installed?
Did at some point you have XP installed on the drive that now contains your Windows 10 Operating System?
Are you dual booting the computer?

Reaction score
Try clean booting the system and see if that produces any relief. Run it like that for a day or two and check Windows Update manually in the interim to make sure everything is up to date.
You're basically just disabling all Startup Items and all non-Microsoft services. Do no mess with the Microsoft services. Be sure to check the box to hide them before proceeding.

ntldr is not a file used anymore to boot a Windows Operating System. Not since Windows XP.
Do you have a second drive in the system with an active partition and XP installed?
Did at some point you have XP installed on the drive that now contains your Windows 10 Operating System?

Many thanks - I'll have a 'play'. Problem is the issue does not occur on a regular basis. Nothing in the last 24 hours but maybe 3 times on Friday. Not too sure what 'clean booting' is but suspect I'll have an answer by the time USA springs to life (I am in Southampton - UK)

The system is an original Windows 7 system which had 320 GB HDD. HDD failed and was replaced (not known at the time but using a 160 gb HDD). Now replaced with 240 SSD and no other disk in system, Do have USB 500gb for backups etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score

No problem since the weekend then twice in the last hour.
Both occurences happened just after I went to a full size screen whilst watching a video clip
I am using an up to date FireFox as my browser
I just tried the same clip using FireFox on a Linux / Mint laptop and no problem
Could be just coincidence but may mean something to someone with considerably more current skilss than mine!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Note the date and time of the freezing and then check Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application Logs
AND System Logs to see if you spot any info around the same date and time referencing a Application failure or Application Hang or something of that nature.
Double check your drivers especially for your GPU and see if there are any updates available.

Reaction score
Note the date and time of the freezing and then check Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application Logs
AND System Logs to see if you spot any info around the same date and time referencing a Application failure or Application Hang or something of that nature.
Double check your drivers especially for your GPU and see if there are any updates available.

Just completed the 'Clean boot' and subsequently had a freeze and hard reboot. The event log appeared as per attached file. I have a Critical Error relating to Kernel-Power Event ID 41 - no idea what this means

Attachments

• Microsoft_Windows10_log01.jpg
    Microsoft_Windows10_log01.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 613
Reaction score
Just completed the 'Clean boot' and subsequently had a freeze and hard reboot. The event log appeared as per attached file. I have a Critical Error relating to Kernel-Power Event ID 41 - no idea what this means
a further freeze
This time I get the following. Do not use Cortana.
Presumabaly have to go to Microsoft Sevices to disbale or similar
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user user-PC\user SID (S-1-5-21-1464548375-2560535349-1982070575-1000) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Reaction score
Thanks again for your help -
The Event Viewer enabled me to locate a possible problem with the recently installed SSD.
The error read (summarised)
Data Error on Device
Device :- Crucial SSD (mode #)
Source:- nvstor64

I checked the Crucial site and could find nothing wrong.
Eventually called (phone) the 'suppor't and a very helpful man verified that this type of problem had been seen and their was a latest Firmware Revision MU02 (despite some of the utilities stating MU01 was the latest and firmware was upto date)

The MU02 was an ISO distribution and I had to create bootable CD.
All now appears to work

Fingers crossed and thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow...... thanks for the follow-up info.
Good to hear that you've managed to find a potential solution to your problem.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Reaction score

I too have been experiencing freezes of variable duration in Windows 10 1607 (14393.953), but always, if I have sufficient patience, it recovers, executing in rapid order all of the clicks etc that have buffered up during the freeze, and all is well again, until the next time.
I have recently upgraded the hardware of my PC, but keeping using the (8 years-old) ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro GPU, which I have been advised to upgrade also, as it's well behind current performance standards, although quite adequate for my non-gaming requirements.
Is it possible that this GPU could be implicated in the cause of these freezes?

Ask a Question