SOLVED Windows 10 install, is stuck on its "Working on it" screen

Reaction score
Hello, another new here.
I have W10 installed OK on my main computer.
But on my second Windows 7 computer the Windows 10 install, is stuck on its "Working on it" screen.
Any thoughts on how I can get it to move on?
It has been stuck on this for two days, and I have rebooted it a few times :-(
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Need more info. did you install from your PC in which case it was in windows update?? or did you go to the W10 download in which case you had to first download, and then install? also if done properly you never shut down in the middle of it. If you just installed at : "Lets get started" it takes about an hour, if you did the 2 part process it takes about 2 hrs. and my PC's and internet speed are fast, as are my Pc's/RAM I installed W10 on my 1 W7 and my 3 W8.1 no probs.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your input Aputernut.
I have just a few minutes ago managed to install it by going the windows update in W7.

It installed OK and seems fine except for one problem.
In Device Manager there is one Port with a yellow mark.
Prolific USB to Serial Com Port (com3) This device cannot start.
I have tried to update the driver, but it say I have the best one installed.

So I will need to find a W10 driver for it, or go back to W7

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I have got the 'app' in the task bar which has got listed Reservation-confirmed, then: Download-complete then: Upgrade-available. Then it says: Heres what happens next: 1 .Expect a 10 second prep of your device. 2. Review the licence agreement. 3. Choose when to upgrade. Then a box that says 'OK Lets continue' . When I click on this all I get is a blue screen with a moving circle of dots and the words Working on it. That went on for 3 hours last night before I gave up. Why??

Reaction score
Barry,
Before you do that going back to W7 go back in device mgr. the one with the yellow, highlight it then up on top click disable, then enable again see if that fixes it?

Reaction score
Hello, I never had any luck reinstalling the driver, so I rolled back to W7.
After doing that a note popped up saying my W10 download was ready.
So I let it install again, and I am pleased to say it is working OK, complete with the Prolific USB to Serial Com Port (com3)
Many thanks for your input Aputernut.

Reaction score
Unfortunately problems with the main programs I use this computer for have made me return to W7.
I may leave it a while and retry or just stick with W7, no problem either way for now.

md3

Reaction score
MIne has been stuck on "working on it" for hours. Initially, before it let me continue with the download, it made me uninstall HP ProtectTools security manager, which was unable to uninstall until I uninstalled all these, below.
2015-08-15.png

Needless to say I am concerned about my laptop being not protected. I'm not sure how to proceed, don't think this is going anywhere.

Reaction score
I had the issues where the working on it screen was stuck so this is what i did
Turned off antivirus
unplugged all my external devices
Re-ran the windows upgrade
all has installed fine

I had a slight problem with my printer so i downloaded the latest drivers from Hp and all is ok :)

Ask a Question