Windows 10 installation stuck at 15%

Reaction score
I am upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7, at first it went normal, then I left the laptop, let it run for overnight. Next morning I saw the screen showing Installing Windows, your PPC will restart several times. Sit back and relax. A big circle with 15% in the center of the window. I then wait hours and hours, nothing happened. I don't know what I should do from here. I rather prefer go back to my Windows 7.

Reaction score
After hours and hours waiting eventually I powered off the PC then turn it on again. The screen shows "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click "OK" to restart, and then restart the installation". I did all these steps, but still the same happened again. After several such power OFF/ON, now I am in a very bad status, the computer always shows the above message, after click OK, it comes back to this message screen. I am really stuck here, nowhere to go!!!! Any suggestion out of this mess?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I rather prefer go back to my Windows 7.
Any suggestion out of this mess?
IDK.... I think at a minimum you will likely need the Windows 10 installation media
You can obtain the installation media for Windows 10 at either of these two links
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or you can use Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive.

Boot from the media and on the second page after the keyboard and language page you will see a link referencing "Repair Your PC"
click that and see if the advanced troubleshooting options will give you the opportunity to revert back to your previous OS.

Reaction score
Thank you so very much for the suggestion, I did what you mentioned in your post, and created Windows 10 media on a USB drive, then restart the PC with USB drive. It did provide all advanced options for Windows 10 installation. I tried all of them: System restore, failed; System image recovery, failed; Startup repair, couldn't repair your PC; Go back to the previous build, ran into a problem, try to reset your current build instead. I then tried Reset this PC: two options, 1) Keep my files: The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again. 2) Remove all files: Unable to reset your PC, a required drive partition is missing.
So far only the above option 1) has not been carried out due to the locked drive problem. Do you know how to unlock the drive?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Whenever I've seen that error before it had to do with a BIOS setting regarding fast boot, or rapid boot, or quick boot, or something similar, usually a part of Intel RST (Rapid Start Technology).
There is a ton of similar issues out there where you might get an idea about how to proceed.
Perhaps Google
The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again

http://caspan.com/2014/04/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked/

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suspect that AMD has an equivalent technology and associated driver

Ask a Question