Stuck windows 10 install need help

Reaction score
I just finished building a new computer and I was trying to install Windows 10 preview. But however it reads setting up a few more things 50% complete. It's been over 3hr. What do I need to do. Thanks

Reaction score
I reckon since it is a new computer build that all of the hardware should be compatible with Windows 10 so that shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that comes to mind is possibly a corrupted Windows 10 download or a problem when burned to a .iso disk. I would download a fresh copy and burn a new disk to see if that will get you a complete install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's been over 3hr
Way too long.
Does this computer have a hard disk activity light? If so, do you see anything happening? Is the light flashing rapidly as it might, in the case of some installation process still on going?
Believe it or not I've heard of people apparently stuck on this screen and simply using the Ctrl + Alt + Delete, key combo produced a log on screen for them, which was apparently waiting there behind what they were seeing on their monitor.
Might be worth a try at least.

Reaction score
Windows installation has been good at being able to start back where it left off. That is if for some reason you should need to manually restart the machine. I've had this very same thing happen before, and rebooting the machine did help.

Reaction score
I just finished building a new computer and I was trying to install Windows 10 preview. But however it reads setting up a few more things 50% complete. It's been over 3hr. What do I need to do. Thanks

When you burn your ISO, Make sure your burn speed does not exceed 4x (This is very important) It is best to boot the install from a Thumb Drive as they are so much 'less' likely to corrupt the data.

Reaction score
Make sure your burn speed does not exceed 4x (This is very important).
Rubbish, not everyone has issues burning disk at max speed. You can pass off 4x write speeds as a recommendation, but don't pass it off as a necessity.

I don't have issues burning at max speed, and if I did I would replace the drive. But for someone that does have issues burning at max, dropping back to 4x could very well be overkill. My drives DVD-R write speeds are 2x, 4x, 8x, 12x, and 16x. If I have issues at 16x I will try 12x. If the drive will not write a disk at 12x, it will be considered mechanically worn out and replaced shortly afterward.

Reaction score
I am (almost!) certain that, at the stage when it is "setting up a few more things", it is finished with the install media, but is using the install image in the ram, to organise accounts - default etc..

I would have another look at your hardware. Unplug any exterior devices you may have, also. That may help.
One common issue I have had, is the inability of the install media to find a usable network connection in its final install stages. Make sure you have, at least, a working wireless connection present.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Say as you will but Microsoft also recommends burning @4x or less. Be sensible Clifford and don't pass along bad advise, you may not have an issue but OP does and an old or defective Burner or even inferior disks may be an issue. The only Rubbish here is your reply.

Reaction score
Say as you will but Microsoft also recommends burning @4x or less.
You do understand that is a recommendation not a requirement?
Be sensible Clifford and don't pass along bad advise
I was being sensible, burning at 4x is not a requirement. I did expect a rebuttal after calling you out on your opinion. An opinion that is BS, but as long as it is presented as a recommendation for a fix and not a requirement to work at all, I'll keep to myself.

Here is the fact: if a burner doesn't burn at the specified rate of speed for the drive and media, there is a mechanical failure in the drive and/or media.
you may not have an issue but OP does and an old or defective Burner or even inferior disks may be an issue.
Then advise as a special condition not an absolute.
The only Rubbish here is your reply.
I'll let that slide.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not to take sides, as I do love a good discussion / argument / disagreement, but......
Just to add my 2 cents which is probably overpriced at that, I think that there is a general consensus that generally speaking when creating optical media where the drive nor the media may be exactly optimal (as in brand new, highest quality, etc.,) that using a lower write speed, offers the end to end write process a better chance of being free of possible problem spots.
In a perfect world given a brand new drive with perfect alignment of all components (laser, mirrors, spindle, media, etc.,) and premium writeable media disc I agree that writing using such components should be expect to perform as advertised. But....
I often dumb my writes down when burning installation media just to be on the safe side. The couple extra minutes involved in the overall process seems easier (in my mind) then having to do it again.

Having said all that (unlikely to have changed anyone's mind) I would have to agree with davehc as at the point of the OPs hang I would think that the installation media could have probably been safely removed.
We may never know as the OP has been absent from this thread for a week now.
I don't suspect he is still waiting at that screen any longer.

Reaction score
Never know. He might have dropped dead with a heart attack with the anticipation.

I agree about a good argument, but still don't like to see too many abusive remarks. Keep it clean.

Reaction score
Nice of you to offer, NMGVVT, and welcome to the forum.

But, no rudeness intended, I see little purpose or point in a video which only displays text.

Ask a Question