Windows 10 installation issue: GPT

Reaction score
Hi,

I've a MSI GE62 laptop and I want to reinstall windows 10 on it. I'm using GPT and created a new GPT partition using diskpart:
Diskpart
Select disk 0
Clean
Convert GPT
Exit

Aftewards as I try to install windows and try selecting the primary partition (in my case it's drive0 partition 4) it gives the following error:

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

I found some solutions over net for resolving this problem by changing gpt to mbr, but that also didn't work in my case.

Request someone please help.
Thanks.

Reaction score
The GPT designation is for the drive configuration, not a partition. But it is necessary for using a UEFI install. Beyond that, let Windows create the partitions necessary. You can give it the unallocated space you want but it needs to be able to create the partitions it needs.

The install will also set the drive as GPT as long as there are no prior partitions on it.

Reaction score
The GPT designation is for the drive configuration, not a partition. But it is necessary for using a UEFI install. Beyond that, let Windows create the partitions necessary. You can give it the unallocated space you want but it needs to be able to create the partitions it needs.

The install will also set the drive as GPT as long as there are no prior partitions on it.

Thanks for your response.

Here's the situation:

If I delete all the partitions in my disk 0, the installation creates the necessary partitions and then fails to install:

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows, restart the installation.

I'm unable to attach the screens here as this post complains the pic or file is too big!

Thanks

Reaction score
I have seen such things if the original boot was done using the wrong controller for the drive. Many Dell systems are configured that way.

Do you have any other drives in your system? If so, removing them may help. If you try to install again, check the partitions on the drive. There should be 4 for Windows.

Are you getting some type of error number when the system refuses to continue the install?

Where did you get your Install Media and how was it configured? If you changed any of the Secure Boot options, you may want to set those back.

You can lower the size of attachments by using Paint and edit to reduce the size in pixels to maybe 25% of what they are.

Reaction score
I have seen such things if the original boot was done using the wrong controller for the drive. Many Dell systems are configured that way.

Do you have any other drives in your system? If so, removing them may help. If you try to install again, check the partitions on the drive. There should be 4 for Windows.

Are you getting some type of error number when the system refuses to continue the install?

Where did you get your Install Media and how was it configured? If you changed any of the Secure Boot options, you may want to set those back.

You can lower the size of attachments by using Paint and edit to reduce the size in pixels to maybe 25% of what they are.
Thanks for your help.

I'm able to install win 10 on my disk 1 after removing all partitions in there. Now I know that's not a good idea to install windows on disk 1,rather disk 0 should always be chosen.

Could you please suggest me some way to do that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
The Disk 0 or Disk 1 status normally depends on where the drives are connected in your system. The drives will go along with the SATA ports being used and the lower the port the lower the number disk. This can vary if using an mSATA or M.2 drives since they seem to be listed after the normal SATA drives.

When you do your install, you need to be aware of which drive is which. This can be a little harder if you are using drives of the same size but you should be able to tell from the partition schemes as to which drive you are looking at. Of course, if you disconnect all other drives then you will only have one drive to deal with.

Ask a Question