Windows 10 Installed Twice

Reaction score
I registered for the automatic upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Once I was notified it was available, I initiated the download. That did not go well. The download seemed to go on without end. When I attempted to install it, the installation would not complete. To make matters worse, I ended up with no operating system. Crash! I considered restoring Windows 7 but I decided to go a different route. I purchased Windows 10 Professional. It was pricey but I believe I read that the free Windows 10 download was not the professional version which I wanted. My Windows 7 was PRO.

The end result was a stable Windows 10 installation. My question has to do with what happened during install. Setup found two hard drives in my computer, both with Windows installations. One was a hard drive from an old computer which I used as expanded storage. The other was my main drive which was the boot drive that crashed during previous failed attempt. I thought I picked the crashed volume but it seems that I picked the old storage volume. When I discovered my mistake, I aborted and restarted Setup. I ended up with "Windows.old" folders where the Win10 setup placed all of previous Win7 files and folders.

Again, long story short, when my machine restarts, I am asked which installation do I want to boot. Obviously, both are functional since Windows 10 Professional is a multi-boot OS. The question is: Can I just reformat the old hard drive to eliminate the second unneeded Win10 install or are there hooks back and forth that will crash my main Win10?

There is no interference in either direction but I would like to recover the space on the old drive occupied by Win7 and Win10.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
If your main one is fully up to date and working ok
You should once you click on other hard drive be able to format it no trouble at all
Also if you had windows 7 pro then it should of upgraded to windows 10 pro
Also once you are satisfied that windows 10 is ok you can delete windows old if you want to
Also the upgrade you said seemed to go on for ages how long did you give it as it can take up to 2 hours or more

Ask a Question