Windows 10 keeps powering off my laptop

Reaction score
Phew, That caps me!!!

Didn't even know there was an IT industry in 1966!!
What was your occupation then?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Dave.... check your math, I believe 2016 minus 40 years works out to be 1976.
Although still in its' infancy I had already taken my first computer class 4 years earlier in 1972 at a place called Control Data Institute out near Washington DC and I believe it had been around for a few years prior to my having attended.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
They certainly didn't look anything like they do now.
I remember a bunch of big, heavy iron about the size of an apartment refrigerator and also almost equally large keypunch machines and stacks and stacks of 80 column key cards. So all in all a bit different.
I was studying to be a "Computer Operator" whatever that is or was and the only other thing I remember is that the classes on binary was the world's best cure for insomnia.

Reaction score
Not exactly a computer, as we know that thing that sits on our work desks, but my daily work back in 1969, was using a digital secondary radar screen, about 60 inch I would guess. The "computer", occupied a whole room downstairs in the tech dept.

Reaction score
Hi,

Since I have installed Windows 10 (reluctantly) my laptop keeps switching off whilst I am working with it.

I have an old Thinkpad and have set so the power settings so it never sleeps whether on battery or mains. However, it is always plugged into the mains and I never use it with the battery.

This may be a red herring but I do have Microsoft Solitaire going most of the time, so wondering if it could be a potential cause.
----- I have a thinkpad too and it does the same turning off for no reason.

Reaction score
There is one thing that you should check, is the fan working? And if yes, it may be clogged up with dust. If the CPU overheats, it shuts down. I had to replace the fan on my X61 3 times.

Reaction score
Older Laptop, old battery installed and using AC power supply.
Make sure the air flow isn't restricted. I suspect it's an overheating problem, gaming compounds the overheating issue. If the battery is old as you say it may have a shorted cell(s) this will definite cause higher than normal temperature. A cleaning with canned compressed air may help, also I would remove the battery and run it on the power supply provided when gaming to see if this eliminates the shutdown problem.

Reaction score
Norton, just blowing into the grill with compressed air may not work. I had to removed the bottom cover and the dust had compacted in the inside at the vent grill. I had to pick the dust out with tweezers, it was compacted so hard.

Reaction score
Norton, just blowing into the grill with compressed air may not work. I had to removed the bottom cover and the dust had compacted in the inside at the vent grill. I had to pick the dust out with tweezers, it was compacted so hard.
Living in a house with cats I have to do that with the tweezers on the cpu fan on a desktop every so often!

Reaction score
Tim I know what you mean. I clean my Grandsons PC every 6 months, they have 2 cats.
Back to the OP Sorry! I missed where you said you never run it with the battery inserted, forget what I said about defective battery cells. However there's is one more suggestion I have and worthy of checking, my daughter has an older notebook that was running excessively hot, when I checked the air flow I noticed that the 4 rubber feet
(inserts) were missing, the PC was laying flat on the desktop this was restricting the air flow as the cooling air intake was on the bottom of the notebook. A trip to the hardware store for 4 rubber stick on cabinet door bumpers solved the cooling issue.

Ask a Question