Windows 10 not working

Reaction score
I recently upgraded Win 7 to Win 10 on my laptop (Dell XPS 14) and it seems to have broken it. During the upgrade just after it had finished installing drivers the screen went blank but was still lit in the background and it stayed like that for an hour or so before i forced a restart. The OS then struggled to load and the screen was blank again for a long time until i pressed some keys and it finally went to the login screen. I wanted a clean install so i went to the security options and pressed reset and remove everything. It got to 66% complete and froze then after about 30 min said Unable to reset click the cancel button, so i clicked the cancel button my PC tried to restart and then Windows 10 would no longer load and was stuck in a loop. I downloaded Win 10 to a USB drive using my other comp and tried repairing Win 10 during the boot up sequence, it said unable to repair, i then tried doing a full re-install and was told Unable to reset. Partition missing. I'm now looking into formatting my HDD and making a new partition using the command prompt i get when trying to repair/reset Win 10. Could this makes my drives unrecognisable by deleting the drivers, if so then i really am stuck and any help/advice would be great.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Jobie, did you use the Media Creation Tool to create the media installation and Windows bootable USB, ensuring you chose the correct W7 to W10 level of Windows (i.e. - W7 Pro or Ultimate = W10 Pro)? I just did a clean install and don't remember there being a "reset" option at the beginning of the procedure, but that doesn't mean there isn't, I just don't recall it. If you want to go for a complete clean install - and you are considering reformatting your HD anyway - you may wish to consider letting the installation guide delete all the current partitions for you at the beginning of the process and choosing the HD left as the destination for the install. I've heard of others having issues with an install if they didn't delete all the partitions ahead of time, but that is not fact, just hear say.

Reaction score
Yeah i used the media creation tool, i had Win 7 Home so i downloaded Win 10 home. It won't let me do a fresh intall where i can format the HD as i don't have a product key for Win 10. The Dell i got came with Win 7 pre installed so i upgraded through that. i didn't get a restore disk as my laptop doen't have an optical drive. I tried re-installing Win 10 using my Win 7 product key which is written on the bottom of my laptop but that didn't work.

Reaction score
I'm hoping i might have just cracked it. I tried to re-install and just pressed skip when it asked for the product key, seems to be working i just hope it doesn't ask for it again later.

Reaction score
The product key for an OEM install is tied to your device's motherboard. It should find the product key on the motherboard during the install and use that.

Ask a Question