Windows 10 on SSD and not on HDD

Reaction score
In my experience, Windows 10 run without problems in a computer with a solid-state drive (SSD). However, if the computer has a hard disk drive (HDD), Windows 10 will run slow and installed programs will load and run slow.

I think many people could note that, but I don't find any link or source to support that.

Does anybody know any source or web page that recommend to install Windows 10 on a SSD and not on a HDD?

Reaction score
I haven't found it to be an issue of using an HDD for data storage while the OS and most programs are on the SSD. There does seem to be a speed difference between the SATA SSD and the NVMe drive, probably because the NVMe is usually on the mother board and the SATA is connected via cable to the board. It does appear using a 7200RPM HDD is better than a 5400RPM HDD. Same for using an HDD for the OS and HDD for Data, match the speeds. I had Win10 on a 1TB HDD that was factory partitioned 150GB for C: OS and 780GB for D: Data, changing to a 640GB C: and a 1TB for D: showed improvement in operation.

Ask a Question