SOLVED Windows 10 photo video editor

Reaction score
I have a new hp laptop. When trying to save a project I select backup and it creates a vpn file which will not open in windows photo video app. I can export OK but cannot save a project that will open. Any advice please.

Reaction score
This page gives some information about the vpn file, just ignore that the letters also mean Virtual Private Network which is a program/application:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When trying to save a project
What type of "project" ??
What software are you using?

it creates a vpn file which will not open in windows photo video app
You sure you don't mean a pdn file?
Generally, you'll want to do a "Save As"
AND then choose from the drop down menu, which format / file extension you want to use.

In most software, a "project" is just that.... a project and as such, is not a completed or finished product
AND
Most "projects" can only be opened with the software they were created with

Reaction score
What type of "project" ??
What software are you using?

You sure you don't mean a pdn file?
Generally, you'll want to do a "Save As"
AND then choose from the drop down menu, which format / file extension you want to use.

In most software, a "project" is just that.... a project and as such, is not a completed or finished product
AND
Most "projects" can only be opened with the software they were created with
Thank you. Sorry I should have said vpb file. I am using the photo & Video editor that comes with Windows 10. All other features of the editor including export are working OK. The ability to save a video edit project unfinished however results in a file (vpb) being created but will not open . I get a selection box asking which app I wish to select to open the vpb file but the photo or video editor is not listed. Going to Windows store is listed as an option but Windows store has a zero result.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
ProjectImport.JPG

Reaction score
Thank you but the problem is I don't have the option "import backup" showing. I have googled the problem and since Windows 10 came into being others have had the same problem and recieved similar suggestions which could not work because of missing menu options.

Only had the laptop a few days and when I first looked for video edit it was not there, I found an update link which then installed the video edit part of the photo app. So it's a fresh microsoft update. I have nowhere else to look now.

Reaction score
Thank you but the problem is I don't have the option "import backup" showing. I have googled the problem and since Windows 10 came into being others have had the same problem and recieved similar suggestions which could not work because of missing menu options.

Only had the laptop a few days and when I first looked for video edit it was not there, I found an update link which then installed the video edit part of the photo app. So it's a fresh microsoft update. I have nowhere else to look now.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Ignore my last reply. My 80 year old eye sight did not notice that set of three dots. You have solved it for me. Many regards.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't tell you how glad I am to hear that you've managed to resolve your issue, because.....
After having read your post immediately prior to this one, I was at a loss as to what to try next.
My 80 year old eye sight did not notice that set of three dots.
That's why I often provide or ask for snipped pictures, so I can be certain that both ends of the communication are on the same page.
Thanks for the follow-up info.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question