Windows 10 Reset Not Working

Reaction score
I chose to do a system reset a couple of days ago because of the "Bad Image" error that didn't fix from restarting or rollng back to an earlier date, but for at least the past two days the computer just keeps going to the HP logo, then blacking out, then back to the logo. No loading icon, no other text, nothing. If I turn off the computer and turn it back on it goes back into the same loop, and I've tried using the keyboard to enter commands like ctrl+alt+delete which did nothing. Is this system reset supposed to take multiple days? What can I do to fix my computer if not? The computer is a pretty new HP; I got it for Christmas and the only change I made to it was swapping out the graphics card for a GeForce GTX 960. The PC has been running fine until the "Bad Image" error (which came up when I tried to open downloaded stuff like Skype and League of Legends), which appeared on Saturday randomly after my brother force-shut-down my computer and I rebooted it later in the day.

Reaction score
Hi Caitlin,
My only suggestion to you would be to do a full reinstall or the other option is to try a repair windows from a USB or Disk. Once your computer is registered with Microsoft you can reinstall windows, get the download from Microsoft and put it on a flash drive or disk. You may have to go into the BIOS to get it to boot but if it is a mordern computer then it should do it automatically. I hope that this helps you.

DWS

Reaction score
Hi Caitlin you could try going into F12 MODE when you switch your computer on and then into safe mode then you should be able to try to restore again.But if that does not work then its an expensive visit to the PC doca for a full reinstall or try and get a boot disc from a friend or family member.Good luck and hope you get it sorted soon.

Reaction score
If the computer was not shut down properly as you say then you will probably have to do a repair or reinstall of Windows. It should have recovered on reboot but that's not always the case.

Reaction score
Since you just got the computer it probably came with Windows 10 installed so you may have some additional options the upgraders do not.

Could you be more specific on the "Bad Image" error. Sometimes the exact wording or error number can be helpful.

You have never been put into the Recovery options automatically?

You might try replacing the original video card in case the system is looking for that earlier device.

But as was mentioned, booting from external media might allow you to enter the Recovery options and do some type of startup repair.

Ask a Question