Windows 10 Reset Problems

Reaction score
I hope this isn't a daft query. I have an ACER laptop running Windows 10 which has had a registry / profile malfunction. Despite my best (but limited) efforts I have been unable to fix it and it has been suggested that I do a factory reset. But this is my question - when I bought the ACER it was running Windows 8 but has been updated over the years. Will a factory reset return me to Win 8 and if so will it be easy to restore to Win 10.

I would be most appreciative of any help and advice.

Thanks

George

Reaction score
If using the OEM's Factory Reset process it will indeed put the computer back to its As-Shipped condition meaning what it had on it when you bought it. But Win10 can be reinstalled and Activated with a Digital License, just if installing from the MCT/Media Creation Tool process there is a point to enter a Product Key but below that put a checkmark in the I don't have a key box to get past it. A note: I did a Win8.0 Upgrade last week and didn't have to go through the updates to Win8.1 first.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Depending on the current condition of the computer....
IF you can get into Windows
AND
IF you can log on as a member of the local administrators group....

You might want to consider and in-place upgrade repair.
Basically installing Windows 10 again over top of the current install.
Generally it will fix most issues and preserve your installed programs, personal data and drivers.

In any event, a "factory reset" seems like a complete waste of time, as it will blow away all of your installed programs as well as your personal data and set you back to a previous OS that will need upgrading.
IF the computer is already running Windows 10, then simply performing a custom clean install will accomplish the same thing but not require upgrading from the factory OS.
Be sure to use the most current installation media available from Microsoft

Reaction score
Depending on the current condition of the computer....
IF you can get into Windows
AND
IF you can log on as a member of the local administrators group....

You might want to consider and in-place upgrade repair.
Basically installing Windows 10 again over top of the current install.
Generally it will fix most issues and preserve your installed programs, personal data and drivers.

In any event, a "factory reset" seems like a complete waste of time, as it will blow away all of your installed programs as well as your personal data and set you back to a previous OS that will need upgrading.
IF the computer is already running Windows 10, then simply performing a custom clean install will accomplish the same thing but not require upgrading from the factory OS.
Be sure to use the most current installation media available from Microsoft
Thank you so much for your help. I just want to check that I understand you correctly. You seem to be suggesting 2 options - 1. using NeoSmart's software (which incidentally isn't free) or 2. Download and installing Windows 10 again. I thought I would start with the first option and if I don't have any luck then try the NeoSmart software. Am I correct?

My problem started on Friday during a 'cleaning up' session. I wanted to rename a user folder (C:\Users\George) which I couldn't do. I followed the instructions from a different forum that involved changing the ProfileImagePath in the registry. I followed the instructions to the letter including creating a restore point and backing up the registry. But everything went pear shape from that point on. When I looked back at the forum instructions, annoyingly the person who made the post had made changes to his suggestions further down the page. Now I can get into Windows (very very slowly) but my profile appears to be completely corrupted and I cannot get it back. The restore point didn't work and returning to the save registry made no difference. Hence my decision to go for the nuclear option.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

George

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You seem to be suggesting 2 options - 1. using NeoSmart's software (which incidentally isn't free)
NOPE.... Not recommending any third party software. Just posted a link to the article for its' explanation of the process to avoid typing a longer post myself.
ALL you need is the latest installation media from Microsoft to perform the in-place upgrade / repair.

NOTE: The process may or may not "fix" your profile issues, depending on what is responsible for its' corruption.
Although you should be able to create a new user profile as a member of the local administrators groups and transfer the contents of your old (corrupt) profile into the new one.
You should be able to find any old and or new user profile at
C:\Users\UserName

Another option which might help is to enable the Administrator account and working from there to move forward.
Simply open an Admin Command Prompt and type
Net user administrator /active:yes

Reaction score
NOPE.... Not recommending any third party software. Just posted a link to the article for its' explanation of the process to avoid typing a longer post myself.
ALL you need is the latest installation media from Microsoft to perform the in-place upgrade / repair.

NOTE: The process may or may not "fix" your profile issues, depending on what is responsible for its' corruption.
Although you should be able to create a new user profile as a member of the local administrators groups and transfer the contents of your old (corrupt) profile into the new one.
You should be able to find any old and or new user profile at
C:\Users\UserName

Another option which might help is to enable the Administrator account and working from there to move forward.
Simply open an Admin Command Prompt and type
Net user administrator /active:yes

Thank you for all of your help. But, surprisingly, when I completed the reset it automatically updated to Windows 10 without me having to do anything. So, problem solved I hope. Just need to renistall apps then we're off again.

Reaction score
@george

I performed two different resets. One from a Dell 13-5368 which shipped with Windows 10 version 1607. Another from a Dell Vostro 1000 shipped with Windows XP, upgraded to Windows 7, and then to Windows 10 Pro. On the first Dell, I did an in-place upgrade, It fixed nothing. Then I noticed a 10GB OEM partition. Turned to my last resort so, I performed the reset thinking that it would load up version 1607, but it installed version 1903. On the second Dell I used the MCT for version 1903 to perform the reset because the neither the recovery or in-place upgrade worked. When that reset completed version 1803 was installed. I believe the Vostro did not receive the version 1903 update was due to the hardware limitations of the Vostro. Both fully activated. As with your situation, I had major registry and profile problems. Reset was the only solution. It appears Windows 10 creates a recovery partition to perform the reset operations, I guess.

Reaction score
I have a Dell Vostro 1510 that came with Windows Vista, upgraded to Windows 7 then to Windows 10, now on Version 1903 Build 18362.175. Only issue it has is with not having drivers for the Express Card slot/socket.

Reaction score
You're more fortunate than me I guess. Version 1803 (and latest patch) is as far as I can go on the Vostro 1000. I can't get it to update to the latest. No problem. I don't see anything in 1903 all that important.

Ask a Question