Windows 10 - Settings won't open.

Reaction score
Hello All

I had the same problem as described, i.e. Settings doesn't open (after upgrading from Win 7 Home Premium x64). Can't open Edge, Cortana or any other Windows 10 Apps ( Explorer.exe - Element Not Found error upon clicking).
I downloaded the fix package you pointed to (diagcab file), BUT even that doesn't open. It is unresponsive when I open it, just like how the Settings app is unresponsive.

Please help me understand how to solve it now that the package is not runnable. What does that mean? What is the root cause of this. I have the same problem by directly upgrading, OR by burning a Win 10 DVD and installing from scratch. Initially it worked fine (after new install), but after I installed some apps like Adobe Pro and Winamp, it started. So, I restored by computer back to an earlier point in time when the Settings app was working. However, even after the restore, the Settings and other apps did not open. I moved to a local admin user with the password, rather than the Microsoft account and still no change.
Now, I can't even add a user as it doesn't open. If I click on Add a New User in PC Settings, it gives a Explorer.exe - Element Not Found error !!
Does this help troubleshooting the issue? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Faniko - worked for me, I seem to have plenty of these sort of weird anomalies - starting to wonder whether going Windows 10 so quickly on my main machine was a good idea!

Reaction score
Thanks this worked for me to fix the issue of my setting tab not opening. Not sure what else it fixed but at least I can now go to my settings. Thanks Again

Reaction score
I am a windows 10 upgrade from 8.1

This post is for anyone who has tried the usual fixes without success.
My settings process would open, but the user interface would not show itself.
The process showed in the taskbar, and in task manager, but no GUI.

This fix from Microsoft did not find any issue.
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/CSSEmerg67758.diagcab

I also walked through this stuff:
https://www.xtremerain.com/fix-emerging-issue-67758/

I also ran these commands a few times, from admin prompt:
sfs /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

scannow found errors it couldn't fix.

I ran this one again:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Then this:
sfs /scannow
Eventually, scannow fixed everything it found, with no failures. Not the first time through though, definitely took a few tries.

But still the settings GUI would not popup, and I could not access windows update.

Eventually, I booted into safe mode, and the login page appeared. Funny, I had never seen the windows 10 login page. I only have one user account, so I had defeated the login awhile ago through the user accounts window accessed by running netplwiz, untick the box, etc.

But this time, entering safe mode, I was stalled on the login page. Hmm. I also had closed my microsoft account awhile ago, what was that password again?

My old password got me in, I looked around, and settings GUI worked just fine in safe mode. Hmm.
I rebooted in normal startup, and again, stalled on the login screen. Hmm. Entered the password and I was in. And voila, the settings GUI was back!

I went through the login bypass procedure again, run netplwiz through the "run" box, etc.
And I rebooted to check, it bypassed the login screen, went straight to my desktop and the settings GUI worked!

I have no idea what happened, but suspect that my user account was somehow "dislocated". Maybe just using the password again fixed it.

Reaction score
What do we do with this? Open it up and download this?
I have multiple issues right now - my wifi dissappeared & then I discovered I couldn't open settings. I have done everything (short of resetting my computer) & got my wifi back mysteriously but I still can't access settings. I tried to access this download & it appears to have moved. Any new links?

Reaction score
Reaction score
hello all, im having the exact problem, but i cant download or even open the link provided above. Help please.

Ask a Question